We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wrexham North Wales
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns

I am hoping to bve in Cairns around mid December for a couple of days & would appreciate any advice on decent mid range accomodation, great barrier reef trips, Whitsundays Islands accomodation & sailing info!

Also what are the most scenic routes between Cairns & Brisbane road or rail? Any experience of bus travel Oz Experience/Greyhound?

Apologies for ambiquity, any info much appreciated.

Cheers

Sidman

Wrexham North Wales
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns

Sorry meant to post this is Cairns forum!

Mods could you move please.

Cheers

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns

One of the greatest finds in Cairns is Gilligan's Resort and Backpacker hotel. Good location and a great value. They have 6 and 4 share dorm style rooms, and twin share rooms (actually more than adequate). they have a great pool and bar, the there is always activity of some sort - As you didnt mention whether you were traveling with kids and family, this is not the place. But if you are 18-65, you may like this place as I had found something for everyone within the property. Hard to get a room as it has become so popular, but clean, well run and heaps of fun. I wouldnt consider a backpacker place but this was so far above any backpacker I have ever seen.

Great Barrier Reef Trips - Again, not knowing your age or travel companions, Passions of Paradise is a low cost fun experience to the reef, but again, does not really cater to kids.

If I have really gone in the wrong direction here, let me know and if you could reply with a bit more detail, I will guarantee you will get many replies.

Wrexham North Wales
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns

thanks again for your help!

Im in my 30's & girlfriend is in early 20's, the backpacker place sounds ideal !!!

As for the reef trips, I do not have any sub aqua experience, however i'm willing to try anything dependant on cost, on the other hand my partner would probably not be able to go in the wate but would like to view from boat if possible?

many thanks

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns

As much as many of us dont care for the larger operators, we may advise one from Cairns that at least offers an underwater viewing area or semi sub. Reef Magic gets huge reviews from this forum so take a look at them...price is moderate but you will please both of you by spending a bit more than a budget trip. Budget is budget is budget and you get what you pay for.

http://www.reefmagic.com.au/ - they have a brand new platform so your girlfriend will be in really good company if you choose to go out an explore the reef. A good day guaranteed.

Gilligan's is great - for some reason hard to find on the internet so here is the link http://www.gilligansbackpackers.com.au/

I am not very well versed in the Whitsunday/Airlie Beach hotel bit so will let someone else take that part....but if you wish to hire a sailboat, this company is quite good - not inexpensive but good quality vessels and great owners http://www.yachtcharters.com.au/ - if you wish to go on a crewed commercial operation these guys do a fairly good job at not too high a cost http://www.barefootcruises.com.au/

Check out Mission Beach for a day - good beaches and very relaxing - only a few hours south of Cairns. Innisfail has some great Italian restaurants if you are hungry. When you pass thru Townsville, if you have a spare day, take the ferry to Magnetic Island - lots of wildlife and lovely scenery. Mind you, this is all if you are hiring a car. If by bus, not much flex to do your own touring options.

Wrexham North Wales
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns

Many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated - I will check out the website's & the places of interest online.

Cheers

Sidman

Doha
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns

Hire a car and drive the coast road to Brisbane it is beautiful all the way down and some great places along the way train you don't see much and buses stop at roadhouses and not where you want to stop, forget Cairns for scuba diving get on down to Airlie Beach which is landside of the Whitsundays, the best kept island secret in the world, don't spread the word around too much though otherwise it will end up like the Greek Islands. Also Harvey Bay as you get closer to Brissie, you may catch the end of the migrating whales! Backpackers in Australia and especially in Qld. are morel like inexpensive resorts than backpackers. I am a Queenslander and live in Brissie, when I'm not working overseas, The Whitsundays and Fraser Island are my two most favoured places in this world.