We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Syd & Melb in Sept.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Syd & Melb in Sept.

Hi there!

My Husband & I will be traveling to Australia in September for 3 weeks. We're staying in Sydney & Melbourne. And we will appreciate some suggestions about places to visit and towns near Syd and Mel that we maybe "must" to know. We are thinking to rent a car and try to do tours by ourselves.

Thanks for your time!!!!

Regards!

Sydney NSW Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Syd & Melb in Sept.

There are many things to do and see in Sydney, I would be here all day to try and list them. Have a look at a site called Virtual Tourist.com and also The New South Wales Tourist information site.They will give you a lot of info.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Syd & Melb in Sept.

My first advice would not to hire a car for the whole time you are in Sydney if you are staying in the city. We have a good transport system and most of the major attractions are within walking distance. It often takes longer to drive than it does to walk and parking is a nightmare as well as very expensive.

For Daytrips out of the city a car is a great way to go. A few suggestions would be

A daytrip to the Blue Mountains stopping at Featherdale Wildlife Park on the way.

A drive thru Royal National Park with detours into Garie and Wattamolla Beaches (this is south of Sydney).

Another interesting place to visit is Berrima..a heritage town about 1.5hrs south west of the CBD.

A longer daytrip may be to Canberra (total driving 6hrs return).

I can suggest many others but it depends on how long you'll actually have in Sydney itself..

I let our southern experts talk about daytrips out of Melbourne... I have a few favourites which include Healesville sanctuary (you wouldn't do Featherdale if you do healesville)

Finally, if you can fit it in I'd suggest at least a 3 day trip to the great barrier reef...But this will involve flying!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Syd & Melb in Sept.

Dpolit, as you can see there are plenty of people with great advice, happy to help you out. Can you talk about the likes and dislikes of yourself and your husband, the type of things you really enjoy seeing etc, then we can narrow down the options, there are so many. Have a look at a few posts on the Melbourne board and on the Sydney board and see what you think of all the different suggestions.

Pardon my ignorance but what side of the road do you drive on in BA....??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Syd & Melb in Sept.

Thanks a lot for your advice!!

Here you have a list of our likes (some of):

Sightseeing

Trekking

Visit a Museums

We love National Parks

Zoo's

We like to know your customs and your typical places.

We drive on the left side of the road...

How much is the average cost of a dinner?

Do you recommend to make a hotel booking thru internet?

(please excuse me for my poor english)

Regards!!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Syd & Melb in Sept.

Dpolit, since you have a generous three weeks to see two major cities (either one of which can be seen in four days), you will have a great opportunity to see parts of Australia which the majority of tourists never get to see.... the parts away from the coast, and outside the big cities. These are at their best around September; so you really should include Canberra in your itinerary, and perhaps schedule your holiday so that you drive between Sydney and Melbourne, taking in some of the NSW coastal towns and Canberra on your way.

Guruswife is correct about not using a car while you are actually IN the two capital cities.... Canberra is the only one of the three cities that is really best seen by car. But, after you have seen Sydney by public transport or on foot, it might be wise to hire a car from one of the major car rental agencies that will allow you to drop the car off in Melbourne. Then head for Canberra (three to four hours) and spend a couple of days seeing Australia's best museums (the National Museum, the Australian War Memorial and the Science Museum), the National Art Gallery, and Parliament House. Then, instead of heading for Melbourne, go straight down to the NSW coast (through Braidwood) to Bateman's Bay. This is a pleasant part of the NSW south coast -- you could head north to Ulladulla or Kiama, and then south to Moruya and Narooma. At many of these towns there will be whale-spotting boat tours (I think these will still be running in September... maybe Willnino or Guruswife can correct me if I'm wrong on this one). Since these are all popular Christmas vacation centres, you will find ample accommodation.... there's no need to book ahead unless you happen to be doing this in the very last week in September (school holidays).

After sampling these areas, you can follow the coast road all the way to Melbourne (alas, after Eden in NSW there is little actual coast to see until you have arrived in Melbourne, but with your own car and so much time on your hands you can make little detours here and there.

As soon as you get to Melbourne, return the car and proceed, as in Sydney, to see the city by foot.

Can I also suggest that, while you are in Sydney, you do the Spit Bridge to Manly walk, which is great at any time of year but particularly so in early Spring. There are several posts on this site and on the Fodors forum describing exactly how to do this, but if you can't find these, get back on here and I will happily provide directions. This is absolutely the best way to see Sydney, and, best of all, it's free except for the public transport costs between your hotel and the two ends of the walk.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
184 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Syd & Melb in Sept.

Hi dpolit,

Interesting trips around Mellbourne

The Great Ocean Road ( a must do as it is one of the best ocean cliff drives in the world - 2-3 days driving you can see at a leisurely pace). Drive out to Port Fairy via Geelong, Colac and Warnambool, then come back along the Great Ocean Road, visiting the Maritime Musem in Warnambool. If the weather is good take the car ferry from Queenscliff to Sorrento and then drive back to Melbourne through the bayside suburbs.

Daylesford - spa town since the 1800s -- walks around the beautiful lake, plenty of interesting shops & galleries to browse, some great restaurants, dip in the hot mineral springs. Interesting boom time architecture as it was a gold mining town. 1 hour 15 minutes drive north east of Melbourne

The Dandenong Ranges

Phillip Island - the penguin parade (hundreds of penguins swarm ashore after a day out fishing) is a major attraction.

The Yarra Valley - wine tasting, good restaurants

If you want anymore detail on any/all of these just let me know

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Syd & Melb in Sept.

You have lots of good information here to digest. We also drive on the left hand side of the road and the cost of an average meal is around 10 to 15 Aussie dollars cafe and 15 to 30 dollars for general restaurants. Not sure how our dollar equates to yours.

A typical trip for 3 weeks to cover the things you like is.

7 Days in Melb, include 3 days to drive the Great Ocean Road with stopovers in Warnambool and the Grampians (Halls Gap).

A week to drive to Sydney, on the way is Phillip Island. Just out of the way a bit is Wilsons Promontory but a beautiful National Park on the sea (great hiking of all distances, incl a 2 day hike). Coastal towns up the coast incl Lakes Entrance, Mallacoota, Eden, Merimbula/Pambula, Narooma, Jervis Bay. I also agree with the Canberra stop, lots of great museums.

Then a week in Sydney and home. Good luck planning. Will

London
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Syd & Melb in Sept.

Dpolit - we have just returned from a similar three week trip and while the Aussies here obviously have more experience I'd be happy to tell you what we recommended.

The Blue Mountains and Great Ocean Road are a must. We actually did tours as I came away to get away from driving. Both were absolutely brilliant.

Do the Sydney Bridgeclimb - it's amazing.

Phillip Island for the nightly penguin parade - possibly the most stunning thing I've ever seen. Make sure you upgrade to Penguin Plus for a closer view.

Melbourne old Gaol - go to a night performance.

None of this is particularly earth shattering obviously, but hope it helps.