We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping places and buses/metro

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
shopping places and buses/metro

Hi!

i'm from france and now in adelaide, but i will come to sydney at the end of july. i am a shopping addict, and i was wondering where were the places to shop. i know there is a westfield shopping center that seems very big, and i won't have a car so i'd like to go in places that are not too far away from the city.

i also like little streets with original and cheap clothes, i prefer tp spend lots of money of lots of clothes rather than a huge amount only on one or 2 pieces. so if there are nice streets with cheap and original designers :) also big shopping malls.

and i would like to know if the buses are easy to use, i don't know if there is a metro, and if it is safe, because in paris i don't like to use the metro, but buses are easy to use, i think in adelaide there are not. in paris every shop gives you the nearest bus/metro stop, here not really, anyway i'll go on sydney websites, but if some shopping addicts could help me :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping places and buses/metro

hello,

westfield shopping centres are in many suburbs. the one in bondi junction(which is on a train line, or go by bus) is one of the newest and has many designer boutiques in it.

another shopping centre to visit is chatswood chase(also on the train line). if you like going to the markets, the best one is in paddington and this market is surrounded by many interesting shops on oxford street(again ,easy to get there by bus). do not confuse this market with paddy's market - different type of goods sold at paddy's.

taylor square in darlinghurst is also interesting. as a matter of fact, walking from the city down oxford street through taylor square to paddington and the paddington markets would be a good shopping trip.

the suburb of newtown would also be interesting for you if you like original/cheap clothes.

the buses are easy to use. get yourself a day ticket or a weekly ticket(if you are here that long)

happy shopping.

june

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping places and buses/metro

thank you for your reply :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping places and buses/metro

My daughter is a shopping addict and she adores Bondi Junction. My favourite is Queen Victorias. They are both large shopping malls with a good range of different things.

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping places and buses/metro

From a fellow shopping addict.

Markets on Saturdays:

Paddington Markets, every Saturday on Oxford St, which is very close to the city centre (about 5 minutes by bus). A huge variety of clothes, accessories and homewares. You'll find many one-off pieces and unusual items. Oxford Street itself is also great for shopping and has a fantastic variety of cafes.

Check out:

http://www.paddingtonmarkets.com.au/

Glebe Markets, again every Saturday and close to the city centre. Easily accessible by bus. Slightly more 'alternative' than the Paddington Markets and stock many second hand items.

Check out: glebesociety.org.au/AboutGlebe/AboutGlebe.htm

Other Places:

Chinatown/Paddys Markets. Right in the centre of Sydney, it's worth a browse around Market City/Paddys Markets as there's an impressive range of discount shops and small Asian clothing stores which can have some bargains.

King Street, Newtown: About 10 minutes by bus from city centre. Many similiar shops to Oxford Street in Paddington, but less expensive and more left-of-centre. The cafes are fantastic if you want to combine eating and shopping!

Bondi Junction Westfield: A huge, extremely slick shopping centre crammed full of clothing shops. Many shops are expensive, but look for a great little shop called S.E.S and jewellery store DIVA (and surrounding shops) for cheaper items. If you go, make sure you check out the 'Food Precinct' on the top level! The chocolate shop has a little Belgian Chocolate fountain in which you can dip strawberries!

BUSES/TRAINS: Public transport in Sydney is safe, so don't eb afraid to use it. Also remember it's not a huge city, so you may be able to walk from place to place. A number to store in your mobile phone is 131 500 - this is the Sydney Bus Helpline -it's free of charge and gives you very helpful info about where to get the bus you need, and how frequently the buses go.

Happy shopping!

Mentioned in this post
Glebe Markets
Glebe Markets
57 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping places and buses/metro

thank you a lot!! i wasn't there these last few days (kangaroo island, that was SO great) and i just saw your post thanks :)

Level Contributor
527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping places and buses/metro

Hi Alex

You sound like you are enjoying Australia more now! I'm just back from ten days in Paris. WOW! Great trip.

For your Sydney shopping trip, here's the public transport trip planner site.

www.cityrail.info/fares/trip_planner.jsp

Yes, public transport is safe but I wouldn't use the trains late at night if on my own. A bus is better lit at that time.

Cathy

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping places and buses/metro

hi cathy!

yes i am enjoying australia more, well adelaide is really too small for me, so i will see sydney i am going soon. i will do the bridge climb, the oz boat, maybe a tour or 2 :D well, australian are so much nicer than french, more easy, friendly, and more zeeeeen. in france sometimes it's work work work, here they take more time, less pressure, even in sydney. a french friend is working there for a training course, and she loves it. she says people are nicer, they don't watch you in the streets and make bad comments, i feel really safer in adelaide, i can take 1000 dollars and i am not afraid, in paris i never take more than 100 euros. i miss paris a lot, my animals etc, but well maybe i could live in sydney or melbourne (adelaide is really too small, nothing to do for me, even with a car). anyway i am going back to paris in september, and maybe once there i will say australia was great but i prefer france, everything is closer etc. but yes your country is great, people are more friendly, i loooove it :D