We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Road From Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, TN, USA
12 posts
Save Topic
Great Ocean Road From Sydney

I don't know if y'all can help me with the Great Ocean Road since it's not exactly anywhere near Sydney, but here goes . . . I have a few extra days to kill while I'm in Sydney, and since everyone seems to think 12+ days is more than enough to see everything I'd like to branch out a bit. I want to go by train but I'll only have 3 days and 2 nights, and I know it's about 12 hours from Sydney. I suppose the real question I'm asking is if anyone knows a train that goes from Sydney to the GOR and if so is there a website where I can plan out how to get from Sydney to the train and from the train to the Road and how to get back again. It'll be in the end of December and the beginning of January (specifically Dec. 28-Jan. 9). Are there hostels or backpackers lodgings? I prefer them to hotels. Also on the map the road looks super long, as in more than just a day trip long. How does one go about breaking it up to see just a part in one day? Will I have to go back to where I started to get on the train to take me back to Sydney? This may be a silly question but I would prefer not to take a tour as I like to do things at my own pace, but once I'm on the road how to I go about seeing it? By car seems a bit dangerous what with the driving and the looking out the window thing . . . as always your excellent help is much appreciated!

NY
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Ocean Road From Sydney

From Melbourne you can do a fair portion of the GOR in one day and back, but it is better to plan 1 1/2 days just to Port Campbell and back, or 2 days if you go further. But, you will need to be travelling by car or bus to do this, or very fast bicycle. There are many things to see along the way, and this takes time. There are small tours for backpackers from Melbourne that you can research, but I cannot vouch for any, one possitilility is Autopia Tours, which is advertised along with this forum (click through some of the sites shown). Sydney/Melbourne flights are usually pretty reasonable, a trade off versus using a days for driving.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Ocean Road From Sydney

hmmmm...rush. rush. rush :)

The GOR is a fantastic drive, it takes a good two days to enjoy it with stops to enjoy the scenery and tranquility. We had an overnight stay in a local pub overlooking the ocean which was great. No I don't believe there is a train, best to fly or drive to Melbourne and then hire a car, especially if your time is limited.

cheers

Jeff

http://community.webshots.com/user/surfoz

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Ocean Road From Sydney

You will see numerous posts on the GOR and different ways to see it GCF but none by train. There is a train from Sydney to Melb (10 to 12 hours), pretty boring ride really, then there is a train to Warnambool which is a great stopping place (overnight) for the GOR trip but it doesn't go near the ocean in it's journey. By far the best way to do the trip is by car.

You have a few problems though...one is that you are going at the worst time of year, full on Xmas Holidays and it will be peak time everywhere, so booking will be difficult.

Probably a better option is the coastal drive from Sydney to Melb. You actually don't have to go all the way to Melb, you can drive down as far as you want depending on how many days you have for the journey. You could stop on the way in places like Canberra, (very good place to stop and see for at least a day although not sure what is open at that time of year), Jervis Bay, Bega, Merimbula/Pambula, Mallacoota and Lakes Entrance.

If it is the GOR you want, fly to Melb and hire a car. The driving is windy at times but just take your time and stop regularly at the look outs. Drive to Sorrento first and take the ferry over to Queencliff, this is a must do that most don't have recommended for their trip and then head to somewhere like Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Peterborough or Warnambool and stay overnight. Let me know if you need clarification on any of this. Will

Knoxville, TN, USA
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Ocean Road From Sydney

Is there anyplace in particular that would be best to stay over on the drive from Melbourne to Sydney? If I go for the fly to Melbourne and hire a car route. And Once I get back to Sydney would there be a place in Sydney to drop the rental car back off?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Ocean Road From Sydney

There are two major routes from Melb to Sydney. The Hume Hwy is the inland route and the shortest. Highway #1 is the coastal route and although longer is much more coastal. Check out the post from Corcory "Need help finding places to go in Aust" where we have talked about the coastal drive.

Places to stay depends on how many days you want to take to make the trip. Let us know if you want one, two, three or more overnight stops on the way. Also with the car, if you hire from any of the big companies, you should be able to just drop the car at Sydney Airport. Plenty of others have done this drive, maybe someone can advise if you get charged extra to pick up in Melb and drop at Sydney airport.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Ocean Road From Sydney

"Drive to Sorrento first and take the ferry over to Queencliff"

I agree, this was a very memorable part of our trip.

check out www.standbycars.com

Jeff

Knoxville, TN, USA
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Ocean Road From Sydney

I was thinking just a one night stay over from Melbourne to Sydney, and I would like to take the route to Sorrento and Hwy 1. Do y'all have like a mapquest place online where I could go to print of a map or driving directions?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Ocean Road From Sydney

GCF....Ijust wanted to clarify a few things with your plans. How many days will you be in Melb and how many driving days are you planning...??

Let me set up some time frames for you. It is a lot of driving to do the Great Ocean Road in one day. 2 days is ok and 3 is even better. You can do the ferry two ways, one on the way too the GOR by driving to Sorrento and then catching it across to Queenscliff, or at the end of the trip by going from Q to Sorrento and back to Melb. Both Sorrento and Queenscliff are around 90min drives into Melb depending on the time of day.

The GOR is the opposite direction to Sydney. If you want to drive back to Sydney with just one overnight stop, it will mean a lot of driving. The direct route on the Hume is 10 hours, add another 4 or 5 hours on for the coastal drive on highway 1. Maybe Narooma would be the best option for an overnight stay but you would spend two pretty full days driving. It may be a better option to spend another couple of days on the Great Ocean Road and maybe come home via Halls Gap, then fly back to Sydney. Depends on how long you want to spend in the car driving. Will