We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

I have visited family in Sydney 4 times now and each time I am shocked at how disliked the British are there. Have I been unlucky? Is it just Sydney? The press are vitriolic , and telling people we were British had the same effect as saying we had leprosy!

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

Well almost 40 here yesterday ER, we might appreciate that rain and cold...for a little while anyway.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

I, for one are sorry if you have been treated badly in Sydney because you are a Britt. Australians generally do not hate anyone but we will enjoy "taking the mickey" out of anyone who thinks they are better than we are. Maybe some still feel put out because of our history where the Poms sent our forefathers to Oz in chains for what were trivial "crimes".

You should come to Queensland where we don't pick on the Britts as we are too busy picking on the New South Welshmen and Victorians. The next time you are picked on, tell them to"Get stuffed" most Australians understand this to mean that you do not care for their opinion of you or your Country (or anything else for that matter!)

As far as the Journalists are concerned, these are people who take their nastiness out on other people because they are not intelligent enough to get a real job.

Enjoy our Country and forget about the idiots. (every Country has some).

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

Thanks KLT we have our share of idiots too in UK!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
44. Re: Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

i have just come back from sydney and i am quite surprised this "debate" is still going on!!!! I spent three weeks in sydney over christmas and never once encountered anyone being offensive about the british, sure the auzzies like to have a laugh and a joke at the expence of us brits but its all done in good spirits. I think the people of sydney are great i just think this "debate ha dragged on long enough and i dont see what all the fss is about, there are bad and good everywhere, inclding in the uk.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

Its not a debate Hails its people contributing to a subject they are interested in . If you ve had enough of it then dont bother to read it .

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

For god's sake everyone!

Life is too short to worry about things like this, and to spend such a long time worrying even more about what others say in their replies about the issues raised.....

I am the sort of person who always worries what others think all of the time, but I am starting to realise, after many years of stressing over these things.....of thinking that life is too shot. If people want to be a***holes towards me, that's their problem not mine....I know that I have done my best to be polite...and if that is not enough, well it's them in the wrong not me......

Hope your visit was better this time Englishrose, and hope I will enjoy mine, as I am coming to Sydney in 10 weeks time :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

My visit to Sydney was very pleasant thank you. I am not stressed or worried actually but was just trying to find an explanation to various incidents that occurred on my last 4 visits. This visit everyone in Sydney was kind and polite. From this last experience and from this forum I have come to the conclusion that I was just unlucky the last 4 times. Thanks to all you Aussies who contributed- not one of you have said yes we cant stand you because....! (I found the chap who said we feel sorry for you because you cant play cricket highly amusing!)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

ok

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

Yes, cannot stand ya.... hahaha

No, it's just aussie humour. If you live here for a year u'll get used to the aussie humour of finding faults in the british, but it's all tongue in cheek.

Next time someone makes a remark, just lighten up and say, yeah I get what u mean, you might end up as best friends

Have fun

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Do you Aussies really hate us Britts?

I keep trying to fold this up but it is not about lightening up at all- it was several occasions when I felt really threatened and I was with my young children. (One man telling me he wanted to throw a bomb at the Queen) I realise from this thread that I was just unlucky and that I just met more than my share of wierdos in Sydney. There are wierdos in Uk too as I said earlier!