We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new years eve!

England
1 post
Save Topic
new years eve!

Hi, 2 of us will be in sydney for new years eve (cant wait!) I dont think we're very far from the harbour bridge etc, and i was a bit worried about getting back to our hotel afterwards. are there always buses and taxis etc? any advice would be great!

Sydney NSW Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: new years eve!

Trains and buses run on NYE.Taxis are a bir of a difficulty ,especially from Circular Quay. A lot of the CBD is blocked off until after midnight.Try and find out where you are booked and let us know and then we can tell you your options.

Sydney
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: new years eve!

Oh you are going to have so much fun on NYE in Sydney. As a Sydneysider myself I know how much fun this time of year is in Sydney. The whole city is bubbling and it is probably one of the very few days of the year that you can walk a the stretch of George St (from Townhall to Circular Quay) in the middle of the Street. Actually you should do that, because one year my friend and I did and we just had the time of lives wondering around with the whole crowd screaming Happy New Year...hahaha! Anyway have fun.

Christina

The best place for a view if you can get there is just outside the Opera House.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new years eve!

What time of the day should we get to the Opera house to get a good view of the fireworks? Do you know when they close the roads?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new years eve!

My son has booked online a surprise trip for his girlfriend to go on a New Years harbour cruise together. They arrive back at Darling harbour at 1.30 am. Will there be any taxis or buses around at this time? I am worried they are going to be stranded and Im not keen to stay sober all evening to pick them up myself! Would really appreciate some advice from any locals.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new years eve!

English rose....Where are you staying? Most of central Sydney is reasonable walking distance...

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new years eve!

I am staying in Bellvue- not sure if i have the spelling right.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new years eve!

I am assuming you mean Bellevue Hill? Trains go to Bondi Junction from town hall (short walk up from Darling Harbour) but it depends on how close you are to there. Buses run in that direction You can check out arrangements for buses at www.sta.nsw.gov.au closer to the date.

Other details can be found on www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/.

Taxis can be hard to get at the best of times.

Sydney NSW Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: new years eve!

Taxis are a bit of a worry after the Festivities. Traisn run all night and are pretty safe.,as do buses ,where there are no trains.What Hotel are you staying in?That will make a difference. It might be easier to walk.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new years eve!

We are staying with grandparents in Bellvue Hill who have no interest in the festivities at all! Do buses and trains run as late as 1.30 and are they safe to take at that time? I remember Bondi last time being very rough with lots of fights everywhere.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new years eve!

They've been doing a lot to clean up the area around Bondi on NYE. No alcohol zones etc. Personally I don't like the coming home crush so i tend to either find a hotel o'night in the city itself or not go in. Some areas, such as the rocks can become pretty rough. They ususally run a few extra trains etc to cope with the crowds but as yet city rail haven't outlined their plans. The trains themselves are usually ok becuase theyr'e full to the brim . Much like travelling your tube during peak hour. yes they usually run past 1.30