We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So indecisive re: Sydney Hotels

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
So indecisive re: Sydney Hotels

Help! Sos! We keep reading everything online and still indecisive. Planning our frist trip to Australia in Sept.. Starting out in Sydney. Really want that "perfect" luxury hotel with beautiful views of the water. Willing to pay the price -- just want to be sure. Is it the Park Hyatt? Observatory? or, Grand Quay? Looking for beautiful furnishings, fabulous service, cleanliness, and did I mention the views? So many mixed reviews everywhere! What's a girl to do?

mpe
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So indecisive re: Sydney Hotels

What delightful decisions you face. Without question _ Park Hyatt Sydney, has just been refurbished and sits right on the water. Be sure they make dinner reservations for you at Guielleamo (check this spelling?) at the Opera House and or Flying Fish - a wonderfully different aspect of Sydney and of course Tetsuya - no view, superb Japanese food, rated #4 restaurant in the world last month. Ask Park Hyatt for an unobstrcuted water view overlooking the opera house and onto the city if possible. You should also book yourself a seaplane flight over the city and beaches beyond for a memorable experience.

Enjoy the beauty of Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So indecisive re: Sydney Hotels

I think Quay Grand is lovely but if you want a view with height and both Bridge and Opera house you'll need to look at Four Seasons, Shangri la. Park Hyatt is low rise and if there's a ship in town you may lose a lot of the view.. If however there are 7 of you Quay Grand apartments would be a better pick...

Restuarants to try include Guillame at bennelong (as mentioned in the previous post) Aria and 41 for the views.

I would suggest looking at a driver from a tour company that does small group tours or luxury small groups.. try contacting the hotel where you are staying for suggestions. Or search the limo companies on the web..

Australia is not like Asia in that you can pick up a driver with his car and be toured around..

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So indecisive re: Sydney Hotels

I think the Park Hyatt has the best views of Sydney Harbour, because you are right there at the water's edge... there's only a small park in between. Being a low-rise building (it wasn't allowed to go any higher, as it had to be "in keeping" with the surrounding buildings) these are not looking down but looking straight AT... but you can't get closer. If you want the perfect view, tell them you simply must be able to look at Fort denison.... that way, you'll be looking straight at the best of the harbour.

For panoramic high-up views, especially if there's a lot of you, you might find, as guruswife said, that Quay West, which has 2-bed apartments, is the one. Friends of mine (from another forum), also from Los Angeles (and there were eight of them!) thought that this hotel was wonderful, but it cost them a king's ransom for several 2-bedroom apartments.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So indecisive re: Sydney Hotels

I can't disagree with any of the above, but a comment from a very good friend who stayed at the Park Hyatt two weeks ago was that the first room he was given had a stale smell (damp/unaired?) and the second supposedly non-smoking room had a distinct tabacco smell. The third was fine and they had a good time. But....

Other than that, the comments above are all spot on. I personally like the Shangri La, but it is a long way up the hill from George St after a day sightseeing.

Given your willingness to spend the necessary money, I'd recommend either a guaranteed high-up harbour view room at the Four Seasons or a room (as per AlanJ's comment) in the Park Hyatt.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So indecisive re: Sydney Hotels

One thing this post mentioned is HIGER IS NOT NECESSARILY BETTER....we have made the mistake of requesting a high floor, and then been disappointed that all we saw were rooftops. The floors around 8-14 get straight-on views if you select one of the highrise hotels - and as they say, don't assume a harbour view room is of the Opera Hse and Bridge....be specific and get clarification of the view. You could pay top dollar and overlook the docks.

So many new highrises have blocked the views that once dominated the skyline, and unless you book one of the Penthouse Suites (note, probably a very high floor) you may get a view of one thing but probably not all the directions you wish to have ie OH House, Harbour Bridge etc etc

I think the request of a view of Ft Dennison is the way to go

Park Hyatt has gotten lovely reviews if you book the Studio Opera House Views, but with Sydney occupancy rules you may put only 3 in a room at that property so you will have 3 rooms at 700A++ a night per room.

Quay Grand will be good but you will again, have to take 2 units as max occupancy will be 5 in a two BR Unit and at $680++ per unit will get a bit pricey - most of the units look towards the Rocks area so Opera House Views will be end units - this a newer blgd - here is the link to Mirvac -click on photo gallery to see the pix....would not be my first choice

mirvachotels.com.au/…

Also look at Quay West - have not stayed there for around 4 years, so I'm unsure of condition of rooms - they were lovely when we were there, and the views were perfect, units with kitchen, washer dryer (nice for fam of 7) and located by Shangri La mirvachotels.com.au/… - this hotel has an Executive Penthouse Apt that will take 6 + 1 extra person = 7, so you may be able to get all family members in one unit for around $1200 AUD per night...