We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri La

Ireland
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shangri La

Just booked a Delux Opera House view room in the Shangri La, am I mad or is it worth the extra money

be honest

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri La

The view will be fantastic -- of wll the hotels in Sydney, only the Park Hyatt probably offers better (and Quay West as good).Now just pray for bright, sunny days and I think you'll be delighted.

Is it worth the extra? Well, it depends on how much extra and how much you're willing to spend. The Shangri-La isn't famous for bargain-basement rates, but I haven't heard anybody come away saying that they weren't impressed (except, maybe, with the front entrance, which looks straight at the toll booths for the Harbour Bridge, a few feet away.... maybe there's a lower entrance you can use so that you don't have to go there).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,133 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shangri La

I ahve to disagree re the park hyatt view being better. You have the advantage of height at the Shangri La.

Is it worth the extra ...IMHO..yes..on a beautiful day Sydney Harbour is breathtaking..on an ordinary day it's still very good. If it's not really costing a lot more in the overall scheme of things (think airfares etc) then why not... how often do you come to Sydney?? (BTW the view is equally beautiful by night)

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri La

Well, the Shangri La is MUCH nicer than Quay West as a hotel. I agree with Guruswife, you won't be disappointed. Even if it is pouring the harbour looks atmospheric.

Have a great time.