We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing Customs and connecting flights

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Clearing Customs and connecting flights

We will be arriving in Sydney on a US flight at 6:10 AM. We need

to clear customs and catch a flight to Cairns and was wondering

how much time should we give in between flights. We have

two options of 3 hours or 9 hours. Please help. Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearing Customs and connecting flights

Who do you intned to fly to cairns with?. jetstar is much stricter on Check in times while Qantas has online check in 24 hours before.

I'm not sure I'd risk 3 hours with jetstar... you are arriving at peak airport time and if the flight is late it can take an hour or more to get out of the airport then across to the domestic terminal is another 10-15 mins..

VB or Q i'd say no worries..

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearing Customs and connecting flights

look at all 3 carriers, Q Vb And JQ,see what times they are offering, so you dont have to stress, even if you have to spend a night in the hotel near the airport, better than worrying about missing the flight.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,136 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearing Customs and connecting flights

AS others have mentioned early morning in Sydney airport can be hectic, but seeing you are arriving at 6.00am it probably will be okay. I find its the 7.00 - 8.00am the worse, but you don't want your airplane to be delayed or you would certainly miss the plane.

Maybe, you could investigate if there is another plane going to Cairns ie, virginblue, jetstar or qantas.......timetable, to see if there is a later one leaving for Cairns.

Normally, I would just take the risk, as 3hrs usually works out in most airports, although at times it can be stressful.

When O/seas, we usually just book into a hotel airport (day room )and catch up with a little sleep and also to stretch those legs....so 9 hrs may suit you better. ..without stressing !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,710 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearing Customs and connecting flights

I'm with ElleMay (again) on this one. 3 hours should be fine as long as your plane is not late arriving. We only had 50mins to clear customs and connect to an interal flight in Washington (Dulles) at Christmas time 06 - made it with time to spare but got the blood pressure up a little. So, from the stress point of view - you could do worse than spend a day in Sydney. Perhaps catch the 9.00am flight the next day instead if you have time in your iten.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearing Customs and connecting flights

Thank you all for your advice. We are flying VB and have

purchased insurance for missed conncections - so the

blood pressure won't elevate too much. I would have

loved to spend the night in Sydney but the husband

wants to go diving the very next day at the GBR. We

are booking one of the 3 day live aboards.

Thanks again!!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
35 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearing Customs and connecting flights

I have a very similar situation, I am arriving in Sydney at 6:20 a.m. on Qantas from San Francisco and we're booked on an 8:05 a.m. flight to Cairns. After reading the replies above it looks like we should be fine since we are on Qantas and our flight to Cairns departs from the same terminal where we arrive. Will we be required to claim our baggage and then re-check before boarding the flight to Cairns?

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Clearing Customs and connecting flights

Good luck with your travel. Sounds like you should be okay.

I am arriving on a United flight and have to figure out where

Virgin Blue is in the terminal. Hopefully my legs will remember

how to walk after the long flight from Los Angeles.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clearing Customs and connecting flights

You need to change terminals as the Domestic is in a different location. You will need to do the collect luggage and immigration then transfer over to the Domestic T2 (I thnik virgin have introduced a shuttle but maybe wrong on this) otherwise you need either a train or taxi.

For the To Q flights...immigration etc will be done in cairns so it's just a walk between planes with hand luggage (the 8.05 is my fave flight!)

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Clearing Customs and connecting flights

Wow - Sydney sounds like a huge airport. I will look up the

airport web site on the internet and see if it gives me a diagram - just to get an idea of location.

Thanks again for your help!!

10. Re: Clearing Customs and connecting flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, September 04, 2009