We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney in August

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney in August

My husband and I will be in Australia for 3 weeks in August and have six full days in Sydney. What do you recommend that we do to make the most of our visit? We enjoy sightseeing, culture and taking in the history of the places we visit.

Also, what will the weather be like! Everyone I speak to tells me something different!

I have always wanted to go to Australia and am counting down the weeks - I can't wait. I want to find out as much information as possible so that we can make it a holiday to remember.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,892 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney in August

My first suggestion would be to read back over a lot of the Sydney posts.. no need to read all of each one cos some of the longer ones get a bit off the track..

You will notice a few things..like bridgeclimb, featherdale, Taronga Zoo, Manly, Opera House and Botanic gardens consistently pop up (you can use the search feature on this site to find them more easily).

For History you have Museum of Sydney and Hyde Park barracks along with the Mint museum, take a guided walk around the rocks.

Culture..The Art Gallery is over in the Domain as pleasant walk thru the Gardens (look especially for paintings by mcCubbin, Roberts, Nolan and Boyd) ..the MCA (modern art) is down at the Quay. The Australian Art display in melbourne is far better.

Weather in August is usually okay..can be very warm or cool with strong westerly winds.. in the last few years its been as low as 14 and as high as 36c as daytime maxs. Last year it was warmer in Sydney in August than it was in London...

Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney in August

As far as history and culture goes, I'd echo Guruswife's suggestions and add the Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour. In the evenings, try and catch a show at the Opera House and/or a production by the Sydney Theatre Company at The Wharf theatre. In both cases you'll enjoy top performances in very "Sydney" spaces. Check on www.sydneytheatre.com.au for what's on at the Wharf.

The centre of Sydney is ideal for walking - there really isn't much need to take transport to get to most of the tourist attractions.

One of my favourites, and a terrific intro to Sydney, is to start at Bennelong Point (the Opera House), go around and/or meander through the Botanical Gardens to Mrs Macquarie's Chair. Then along past the ABC pool (Andrew Boy Charlton), up the hill to Art Gallery Road. Past the NSW Art Gallery through the shady trees to Hyde Park Barracks. Through the centre of Hyde Park (past the Archibald Fountain) to the War Memorial. After that, if you're still enjoying the walk, down Liverpool St to the Entertainment Centre and Darling Harbour. You'll pass the Chinese Gardens (worth popping into) and then get to Co_kle Bay with it's myriad attractions (albeit rather touristy) You can get back to the Rocks area where you started by taking the Rocket ferry (every 15 mins or so).

In my opinion (and probably because I love guidebooks with pictures) the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide to Sydney gives the most approachable info for a week in Sydney and the maps are great.

By the way.... I couldn't get the second "c" into "Co_kle Bay" because of the profanity filter. A downer for seafood lovers.

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now