We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of questions!! Sorry......

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lots of questions!! Sorry......

Hi,

My new boyfriend is coming over to Sydney in 2 weeks because of work, he has asked me to join him, I am pretty scared (not much of a clever traveller), however I have spoken to my employer regarding a sabbatical from my job for a year, which they have agreed.

I currently work in Procurement & have applied for a holiday working Visa ( I am 29). I woud like to continue to with my career in Procurement & would like any advice on Local Government contacts or Agencies where I could send my CV off if poss.

I understand that my Visa restricts me to have at least to jobs during my stay, as I am not allowed to stay in a job after 6 months, I need to change work places.

Also, any good links for rented accommodation would be very useful please. I am not coming out until August, what would the weather be like there then please?

I've never been to Oz before, I've heard lots of stories about Spiders, are there many of them? Which ones do I need to look out for?

Also, as we will be renting accommodation, are there any cheap places to buy house hold items, i.e. beds, linen, kitchen items?

Sorry for the many questions - if you prefer I could post my individual questions separately!?

Also, any tips in general - considering it;s the other side of the world!! & I'm not really a traveller!!!

Thank you in advance for your replies. :-D

x x x

Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
699 reviews
from $167.54*
Sydney BridgeClimb
973 reviews
from $127.88*
All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
123 reviews
from $169.96*
Special Offer
Blue Mountains Wildlife Day Tour from...
1,037 reviews
from $62.72*
$125.45
Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of questions!! Sorry......

Cherry, I suspect tripadvisor my shut down this topic pretty quickly as its not strictly travel related, however some quick answers:-

Both Hays and Select deal with a lot of the government agencies apparently. My wife has had several jobs through them. You will need to set up a tax file number and bank account here before you can start working however.

Can't help you with the rented accomodation, but when we got here last August we were lucky and it was a mild winter and started travelling up the coast soon thereafter. I understand that the winters in Sydney can get cold though i.e. maybe as low as 10 degrees. Search out some weahter websites for climate statistics, but from August it will just get better and better.

Don't worry about spiders. We've been all over Australia and lived in Syndey for 5 months and never seen anything dangerous. What might freak you out more is the amount of cockroaches you'll see. Unlike in the UK they are not restricted purely to filthy restaurants etc but at night you'll have to step over them in the street. Sorry.

They do have Ikea here as well as plenty of places for cheap household items including linen (which they call "Manchester" for some odd reason).

I'm sure you won't find Sydney too much of a culture shock, unless you are from a small town in Derbyshire and have never been to a city. We love it and I'm sure you will too.

Hope this helps.

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of questions!! Sorry......

p.s. Feel free to post a private message if the topic does get closed and you have any further questions.

3. Re: Lots of questions!! Sorry......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:04 am, May 22, 2007