We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
523 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching

Hi

I have been advised that we can go whale watching from Sydney

we get in June 28th for 6 nights (five full days) Thurs- Tues

before heading out To Ayres Rock then on to Auckland, & Christchurch, Fiji. Does anybody have any info on prices,

on the whale watching length of time trip takes, best opeator etc,

we are staying in the Rocks and will not have a car. We have

no hard and fast schedule however we want to do as much as

poss of the most sees, opera house, bridge, blue mountains

(i have been advised we can combine that with Featherdale,

as we want to see the Koalas and I believe thats the best place

for interacting with them). but also have time for wandering

round and watching the world go by. Thanks in anticipation of

your help.

sydney
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching

hi again scoobz..ill let others answer the recommendation question cause you already know my answer ; )

but on the question of where is best to see whales, Sydney V Auckland? Well again, you know my bias but i'll try and give a balanced rundown.

Auckland whale watching takes place in the bay of plenty, which gets a fair share of toothed whales (orca, pilot etc) and the occasional baleen whale, but its not on a migration path of the big baleens like the humpback nor does it have the resident sperm whales that Kaikoura has. They tend to focus on dolphin watching with a possible whale bonus thrown in. Bay of Islands, north of Auckland gets a better ratio from the research I have read , but again they have resident dolphins in the bay and have watching and swim experiences (though maybe not in winter), so if a whale is known to be about the tours will pop out into the ocean and watch them.

Kaikoura is a different story, it has a deep chasm just offshore and this provides food for sperm whales (biggest toothed whale about the same size as the humpback) year round, there are not a massive number, but they are nearly always there and this is why NZ has such a well known reputation for whale watching.

Sydney on the other hand is seasonal, we don't have resident whales but the migration of about 8000 humpbacks passing within about 2 miles of the heads, the peak of the northern migration is about the winter solstice, when we get about 80 whales past in a 10 hour period(BTW this is data from the National Parks survey).

sydney
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching

Oh, and BTW there is one review on TA for another Sydney operator who does small sailing based w w , he is a great guy, very informative and enthusiastic, he just missed getting to the whales that day, which was a shame, because they put on a good show, and the review would no doubt have been better had they made it..at the time i posted one of our photos from that day:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255060-d2…

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
523 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching

Hi Whale watcher

That sound like a fairly balanced point of view to me!!

and I think Syydney is the winner. NO doubt Il be back for

more info. Thanks again

Scoobz

4. Re: Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 30, 2009