We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

4 posts
Save Topic
Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

My dad is flying to CHC, New Zealand for the first time and I booked him tickets with 1 stopover in SYDNEY. I booked with Qantas and I just realized that his connecting flight in SYD is operated by Emirates. He is flying form MNL with Qantas and arrives in SYD at 6:10AM and next flight to CHC is at 7:50AM with Emirates. He only has 1hr and 40min before his next flight assuming flight is on time. I have never been in SYD myself so I dont know how it works. My questions are:

1) Will Qantas allow to check-in luggage straight to CHC?

2) If answer is yes, can he take his boarding pass to CHC at the Transfer Desk to avoid long queues at Emirates check-in counter?

3) If answer to #1 is NO, obviously he will have to claim baggage for re check-in with Emirates. How long will it take to undergo through customs and Immigration? I am worried that 1hr40min won't be enough. Can he skip the queue and ask people to let him pass?

4) Is there any desk at the Sydney airport I can contact to assist him. I cannot afford the Meet and Greet services offered by some companies at the airport. I am wondering if I can call Sydney airport concierge to help my dad get to his next flight. I am willing to pay but not as much as the airssist or fasttrack charges.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
11 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

It's very simple ... when he checks in at home he will be checked in to both flights and get both boarding passes, he won't see his luggage until New Zealand. In Sydney all he has to do is move from arrivals to departures which is well signposted and in the same building. He has plenty of time ... shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

As to helping him ... Qantas will provide that service free of charge. They will point him or take him to the next step on arrival in Sydney. Call them and ask for help.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

1 yes

2 he will have his boarding pass issued in MNL so then on arrival just proceed to the Sydney transit desk

4 Qantas staff and the transit desk are there to help

What visa does he have - if Phillipines then no visa required for transit ?

https:/…

Edited: 7:34 am, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,089 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

Sorry said what visa - mean what passport does he have ?

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

Thanks for the reply. I called Qantas airline and they said they have put a note on his booking that he needs assistance in his transfer as a first time flyer so I wonder how well that works. And they said that he will need to check-in with Emirates in Sydney. I just learned that he won't go though Customs and Immigration as not needed while transiting and no Transit Visa required unless he will need to get his luggage for re check-in which I hope not.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

@Dtokyo, He has Philippine passport and I checked Transit Visa requirements. He is okay not to have it as long as he stays in the airport and don't need to go through Immigration because of luggage needing to re check-in

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

If he doesn't go through customs that clearly means he is on one ticket ... that means he does not check in in Sydney just transfers, somehow that information is wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

Qantas and Emirates codeshare flights. He will be on the same ticket, given boarding passes before leaving Manilla, luggage transferred but he will need to go to the transfer desk when he arrives Sydney, not actually checking in (wrong terminology was used) and certainly not going through Australian customs.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,019 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

I don’t understand how he has to check in with Emirates in Sydney. That would mean going landside not staying in international transit area. Which would mean going through immigration.

Something is wrong somewhere.When you go to manage my booking on the QANTAS site, do both the QANTAS and Emirates flights show under the same booking? If so, it’s a single ticket and that would mean staying in transit but not checking in in Sydney.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

He shouldn't need to do anything other than take the Transit exit, which will take him through a security check and back into the departure lounge. Check the departure board to find the gate number for the connecting flight, and wait for a boarding call.

He will be issued two boarding passes when he checks in in Manila, one for each flight. The one for the Emirates flight may not have the gate number, as these are not always known in advance, hence the need to check the departure board.

As it is a code share flight the airline on the departure board will alternate between Qantas and Emirates, and the flight number will also change. He should firstly find the departure time and destination, then wait to see that it is the correct flight number. If the booking was made with Qantas the flight number will begin with QF; if Emirates it will be UAE.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,378 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer

It work this , it is a matter of the flight numbers. For Example if you are Qantas Passenger the flight number will QF, if the Number is QF XXXX it means an Emirates flight If a Passenger of Emirates flight ,It will be EK XXX. If a forth X is added it is a Qantas Plane. Emirates and Qantas change to CHC route sometime ago, as Emirates are flying more A380. So the flight number tell us a lot.

I come in the Emirates Bangkok Flight that lands at around 6.10 am. It is generally on time. These are the first of the A380 and 747 to land. This is because of the curfew at Sydney Airport on these. The Pilots can fly the plane a lot faster than the schedule show. For example , I have left Bangkok 30 mins late and arrived in Sydney 15 before the Schedule. Last flight we left 1 late. they picked up30 minutes in flight

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Reply to: Sydney Aiport - International Airline transfer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;