We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murray Coachlines from SYD to Canberra?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,823 posts
432 reviews
Save Topic
Murray Coachlines from SYD to Canberra?

I am reasonably familiar with SYD, but I need a recommendation for roughly how long it would take me to go through CQI and get to Bay 9 at SYD International. I arrive at 8:10 am on a Sunday in October and there are hourly departures to Canberra at 9:25, 10:25 etc. Or do you advise me not to pre-book in case my Jetstar flight is late?

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
76 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murray Coachlines from SYD to Canberra?

I normally allow two hours, but that is more to relieve the stress of being late. It also allows time for something to eat, bathroom etc.

You could buy a flexible ticket, then if you are ready earlier you can switch to the earlier bus with 30 mins notice, or change to a later bus if running late.

You should definitely book the bus though as they can get full.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,823 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Murray Coachlines from SYD to Canberra?

Thanks for that. I didn't see a "flexible" option on their website - just a stern warning about "No refunds & No tranfers"!! I'll go back to see what I find.

Level Contributor
76 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Murray Coachlines from SYD to Canberra?

They generally have 3 options on their pricing table. The end one provides the most flexibility.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
599 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Murray Coachlines from SYD to Canberra?

It's worth noting that the coaches only go via the airport if someone has booked the pick up there. They won't stop by on spec. Hence, you must book in advance.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,823 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murray Coachlines from SYD to Canberra?

Thanks for all the above. I panicked when I read "ALL tickets are non-refundable" and didn't proceed to the booking column below.

I now see that non-refundable" means "money back" and I have booked the fully flexible ticket.

Is there any weird reason why flights to Canberra are SO expensive - more than a trans Tasman flight!!

I've driven the Hume so often that I really wanted to avoid doing it twice in one week. The flight must only take 25 minutes (it takes 35 minutes flying time from CHC to WLG and costs $49 for over 500KM)

Mentioned in this post
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reply to: Murray Coachlines from SYD to Canberra?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted