We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

Canada
Level Contributor
518 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

Arrive SYD at 0945 on Dec 9. Depart SYD at 2130 on Dec 18. I've never been to Australia before.

9-12 SYD

12-15 SYD to Cairns on a morning flight

15-18 Cairns to OOL on a morning flight

18 OOL to SYD on a morning flight (or should I get to SYD on 17?)

Any thoughts?

Edited: 10:46 am, August 08, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
20 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,453 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

9-12 SYD:

Sydney is a great visit.

goto: http://www.sydney.com/

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,453 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

We lodged at

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay

and the Concierge was able to plan and advise excellent day trips as well as make restaurant reservations.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney Harbour Marriott...
1,314 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Canada
Level Contributor
518 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

And also, list of airlines that I can book with to fly between the cities.

"Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay"

Cat 8 Marriott property: 40k points/night. I can swing on that. I'm assuming it's really central to everything? I haven't looked in detail yet.

I'm going to look into SPG properties too.

Edited: 11:07 am, August 08, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney Harbour Marriott...
1,314 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

Couple of thoughts for you.

3 locations in 9 nights is a little ambitious but if you're happy with brief stops, that's fine. Also, it's the wet and deadly stinger season in FNQ (Cairns) so no swimming without a stinger suit plus it will be very hot and humid. Fine to go there but be aware of the conditions.

If you want to do the 3 locations, I would tend to immediately fly to Cairns when you arrive. That first day is a write off anyway so get the 3 hr flight out of the way. Then work your way down to the Gold Coast and Sydney. This will keep your time in each location together, ie no split stay in Sydney and you fly out late from there so that would be a bonus day for sightseeing. Queensland is also an hour behind NSW (Sydney) in December so be aware of that. Overall, I'd advise you drop either Cairns or Gold Coast as 3 long internal flights in 9 days will waste a full day in airports. For me, the one to go would be Cairns at this time of year. An alternative would be flying to the Sunshine Coast (MCY) from Sydney instead of Cairns and the Gold Coast. You have excellent beaches with no stingers and even diving options on Lady Elliott Island if you could drive a couple of hours north to Hervey Bay for a tour. Not sure if there are tours available from the Sunshine Coast (Noosa, Caloundra etc.)

Airlines are Jetstar, Tiger (low cost carriers), Virgin and Qantas.

Anyway, hope that gives you something to go on. Just be aware of how long it takes to get around Australia due to the size of the place.

All the best.

Edited: 12:06 pm, August 08, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Hervey Bay
Hervey Bay
Fraser Coast, Australia
Noosa
Noosa
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Caloundra
Caloundra
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,716 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

+1 Stephen's advice.

Edited: 12:32 pm, August 08, 2017
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

You're double counting days and giving an inflated impression of your amount of time in each place. You need to carve out the transit time and you'll see you're wasting a day and a half getting to and from hotels and airports and flying.

Cairns and Sydney deserve a lot more time that yiure allowing. You've not said what you want to do, in each location but if it were me I'd split my time between Port Douglas and Sydney and forget the Gold Coast all together.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
10,697 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

Agree, forget he the Gold Coast - you have easy access to LA and Florida from Canada - spend your time in places that are unique to Aus - Sydney and Cairns region (stay Port Douglas) only - wit none nights you will still be short on time in each place, but you wont being seeing more of airports and planes yhan you will of the actual country.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Cairns Region
Cairns Region
Queensland, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

Agree with 2 locations. Count your trip in nights, which makes it easier to see full days. So currently, Sydney 3 nights (2 full days), FNQ 3 nights (2 full days), Gold Coast 3 nights (2 full days0. So your trip comes down to 6 full days, because each time you change location you lose half to three-quarters of a day.

I like Stephen's suggestion of Sydney, then Sunshine Coast (which includes Fraser Island and Lady Elliott Island). No stingers in the water there. However, you have given us no indication of your likes and dislikes, what you want to see, what is important to you. Are you travelling alone? Are you able to hire a car? These things help us to give you better advice.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Canada
Level Contributor
518 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

The advise about flying right away as soon as I arrive in SYD is a good idea.

The reason I want to go to Cairns is because of the Great Barrier Reef. Looking at doing some scuba diving there?

The reason for wanting to go to Gold Coast is because I have a friend there. But whether she's going to be there during that time, she doesn't know yet. Still too far off.

If she is not gonna be there, perhaps just Cairns and Sydney although some of you pointed out Sunshine Coast repeatedly.

No I won't be renting a car. Probably get around by public transportation? I am travelling alone. Haven't decided: backpacking vs a luggage. Well, I don't really have much likes or dislikes. I mean...I'm open-minded when I travel. Although, when I see one temple or museum, I've seen it all.

I may end up staying at a hostel if I do go to Cairns (unless there are Marriott, SPG, or Best Western properties where I can use my points??). In SYD, I will use my points at a Marriott property. How's Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde location? Is that too far from some of the POIs in SYD?

My mother's sister and bro-in-law is in SYD. But whether I can stay at their place, we haven't asked. But I'm sure I'll be meeting them (been 30 yrs since I last saw them)

Edited: 8:43 pm, August 13, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
North Ryde
North Ryde
Ryde, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,580 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia

I wouldn't stay at North Ryde with your short time frame. If you must stay at a Marriott, stay at the one at Circular Quay.

Mentioned in this post
North Ryde
North Ryde
Ryde, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,615 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Reply to: Dec 9 to 18 itinerary in Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted