We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anzac Day

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, England
14 posts
Save Topic
Anzac Day

Can someone confirm for me that this is 25th April?

I do hope so, I shall be in Sydney on thatday, my last full day before I fly home to UK

Quite poignant if so, my grandfather served in Gallipoli in the first war, we believe he met and served beside Australians, after his return the son he later had was given the middle name of Sydney

That son was my father, who recently died and left me just enought money to come to Australia for a month.....

I didnt know it was Anzac day when i booked, now I'd like to go somewhere where I can pay my respects if possible.

Can anyone help with this and where to go after that. I am stopping with a friend in Collaroy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anzac Day

Hi Willowwah,

Yes 25th April is Anzac day. There will be many memorial services around the city on this day.

Also what a story you have told us. This trip will certainly be a memorable one as you will be able to pay your respects for your Grandfather.

Enjoy Sydney and your trip.

Annette

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
507 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anzac Day

Hi Willowwah,

What a wonderful story. You might want to read more about Anzac Day services at the War memorial website awm.gov.au/commemoration/…anzac_tradition.htm

There are services held in a lot of towns and suburbs and there would probably be one up on the northern beaches either at or near Collaroy (beautiful spot, by the way).

The main service and march is through the streets of the city. The Dawn Service in the city is very moving - but it would be a very early start for you if you are flying out that night.

Enjoy your trip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anzac Day

There is an official Dawn Service at Martin Place (around 5am) with Last Post played, laying of wreaths etc.

Then from about 9am to 12 noon there is the Anzac Day March in central Sydney with returned servicemen. As there are now no survivors from WWI the mostly veterans of WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Malayasia etc who now march. Plus bands etc.

The day is a public holiday in Australia.

There has been talk of direct relatives of WW1 veterans been allowed to march to remember their sacrifices and keep the memorial to WW1 but I am not sure on this.

This has now become a special day in Australia and has regained much interest and importance.

PS My grandfather was at Gallipoli then France (he had a brother killed in France) and my wife's grandfather was also at Gallipoli.

Cetainly the main march in Sydney is the best place see a memorial march and worth attending especially as you have come all that way.

4. Re: Anzac Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 23, 2009