We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which road required Snow Chain during August period?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Which road required Snow Chain during August period?

Hi,

I am planning to self drive from Sydney - Katoomba - Bathburst - Cowra - Canberra - Lake Entrance - Philip Island - Melbourne within 8nights

Like to know, do I need to rent Snow Chain for any of the route during August period?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which road required Snow Chain during August period?

I don't think u will need them on that route.

how are u getting from canberra to lakes entrance?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which road required Snow Chain during August period?

Will be going by Cooma, and then to Jindabyne first for 1 night then down to Cann River then to Lake Entrance.. Have not really plan on which place will we spend the night at.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which road required Snow Chain during August period?

Why are you going to Jindabyne? It usually a stop in order visit the Snowy Mountains?

If you want to visit the snow from Jindabyne, it is easy enough to rent chains there. However, you'll need to check your hire car conditions, as many won't allow them to be taken above the snowline without paying a premium.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which road required Snow Chain during August period?

u wont need chains to and within the jindabyne area or on the monaro hwy to cann river.

u do need chains when in the national park.

but as said above that may be a problem with a rental.

a snow visit (if indeed that is the reason for a Jindabyne stop) is better done from Jindabyne by other transport

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which road required Snow Chain during August period?

As lien mentioned - you are only required to carry chains when travelling through Kosciusko National Park however if there happens to be a snowfall on any of the roads you are taking, they can either be closed or have a requirement for chains imposed. This normally would only last for a day or two in the event of a VERY heavy fall at lower altitude and certainly isn't common.

If you want to visit the snow from Jindabyne - there are shuttle bus services available. Get current information from the visitor centres at either Cooma or Jindabyne.

That's a VERY big trip over only 8 nights but you will certainly get to see a lot of the Aussie countryside. Drive carefully and be sure to stop and rest often.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which road required Snow Chain during August period?

Thanks for the advice on the top..

My traveling is actually from 31st July to 20th Aug.. I will be in Gold Coast for some convention until 3rd Aug where I will fly in to Sydney.. Then stay 1 night in Sydney then off I go on my Road Trip.. Ha.. Initial planning is to spend around 8days just for traveling from Sydney to Melbourne then the balance 8days will be Great Ocean Road and Melbourne..

But seem like I will need to increase the day spend from Sydney to Melbourne longer to really enjoy the journey. Haha.

I will be taking day trip from Jindabyne to visit snow as I didn't get the snow coverage for the rental. Not worthwhile to spend like AUD300+ for 1 to 2 days at Snowy. Furthermore, have not drive snow condition before so don't want to take the risk.

7. Re: Which road required Snow Chain during August period?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 31, 2014