We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Canberra

Central City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Canberra

Hello! My husband and I will be moving to Canberra from the U.S. in December. I've read through some of the other posts from people also relocating and I found the rental housing websites very useful. I am also looking forward to all the biking/walking paths and what sounds like an abundance of good Asian restaurants.

I do have one question. We will be moving with our dachsund (we've already got his import permit). Is it difficult to find rental housing that accepts dogs? Very few of the listings advertised on line (I've also been using realestate.com.au state their pet policy and then it's been to say no pets.

Thank you for any advice.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Canberra

Have a look at domain.com.au/real-estate/…7.html

It does mention pets in some cases.

If you want advice on particular suburbs just post them here and I will help if I can.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,431 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Canberra

Lucky you! We lived in Canberra for 3 years and loved it. I'll also be glad to help out with any questions you have. Sorry, I have no info about rental housing that accepts dogs.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Canberra

Additional information to my earlier posting.

Try www. allhomes.com.au as this is probably the largest real estate site for the Canberra area.

Depending on where you are working in Canberra have you thought of living in Queanbeyan which is a country town of 35,000 people, just over the ACT/NSW border about 15 km from Central Canberra.

For more information have a look at my inside pages under Queanbeyan.

Central City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Canberra

Thanks for the new real estate websites!

I'm thinking we want to live in the inner south area. My husband will be working in Weston Creek and I'll basically be on vacation, or should I say holiday:) I'm not tied to the idea of the inner south (since from everything I've read traffic is light) but we'll only have one car and what I would like is something within walking distance of shops/restaurants/bike trails/etc. Ideally the husband could occasionally bike (or bus) to work. Again, all that could be thrown out the window since the number one criteria is finding a place that will accept Mr. Sam Dachshund.

I looked at the Queanbeyan area but I think we need to stay within the ACT.

Thanks for all your help!

Laraeo

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,431 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Canberra

Inner South is a great place to live! We lived in Deakin and loved it. Each of the suburbs has its own set of shops/restaurants and they vary by suburb. For example, the Deakin Shops had a small IGA grocery store, a couple of cafes, a chemist's, a takeaway shop, a post office and the Deakin Spa and Gym. Depending on your location within the suburb, you will have either a short walk or a long walk to the shops, but they should be within walking distance. The large Woden Plaza shopping mall is a short drive from any of the inner south suburbs (and yes, traffic is light.)

If you can find housing near Manuka or Kingston, then you will have even more shops and restaurants within walking distance. There's even a movie theatre there too.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Canberra

Hi,

We moved to Canberra with 2 cats, so had a similar problem to you in finding a rental. It generally is down to whether the owners of the property mind having a pet in their property. You may need to check with the agents handling the properties. We found the best on-line realestate guide was www.allhomes.com.au, as it is just Canberra (and immmediate area) based.

Rentals are tight, so good luck.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Canberra

Forgot to mention in the previous post, I live in Chifley (which is in the area called Woden) , which is close to Weston Creek ( 5 mins drive) where your husband will be working. I regularly shop at the Weston Creek shops where there is a large supermarket and lots of other shops and services.

There is a large shopping mall in Woden, too.

We really like that part of Canberra as it has access to lots of parklands and is very easy to get around. We initiall y rented in Chifley and have since bought a house there.

If you want to contact me about anything that will help make the move easier, email me on two-cats@netspace.net.au

Manassas, VA
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Canberra

We are also looking to move to Canberra. We have 3 kids ages 15, 13 & 10. Can anyone recommend a really good school district? Also, is it true the dogs have to stay in quarantine for 30 days!? :(

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,431 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Canberra

JoKitz--If you want more info about Canberra schools, feel free to contact me at richfieldgrad@yahoo.com. My kids were in the Canberra schools from 1999-2002.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Canberra

Hi! Welcome to Canberra. We are such a friendly lot!!! I live in Tuggeranong which is further south than the Western Creek area. I have three children 14, 10 and 7. Will you be looking for private or public education?