We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canberra Tips

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Canberra Tips

Hello everyone,

I will be moving to live in Canberra in September and am hoping some of you can help me with this info :

- Where are the best places to get decent clothes at bargain prices?

- When are summer and winter sales usually held?

- What are the best places to meet new people? :)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canberra Tips

Probably best to join a relocation forum, TA is for vacation travel and this thread will likely be deleted. Decent clothes at bargain prices, that's an interesting question. I've found that as prices have become more 'bargain' the quality has become less 'decent', and it's not always predictable, you think if you stick to a certain price level you'll get something reasonable but it's not always that straightforward. Sales seem to happen every few weeks! Perhaps if you indicated what you're after, warmer clothes suitable for our climate I am guessing?

Oz
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canberra Tips

Hi,

My answers to your questions are as follows:

Q "Where are the best places to get decent clothes at bargain prices?"

Ans Bali

Q "When are summer and winter sales usually held?"

Ans Summer & Winter

Q "What are the best places to meet new people? ":)

Ans The maternity ward of Canberra Hospital

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canberra Tips

1. Depends on your idea of "bargain". If you're from Sri Lanka, I suspect you may find most Australian clothing quite expensive, irrespective of the fact that it's almost certainly been made in SE Asia.

2. Sales seem to be on all the time these days. Big sales usually at the end of season & Boxing Day (26 Dec) starts.

If you're asking when Summer & Winter are - Summer: December - February. Winter: June - August, inclusive.

3. Meeting new people: Through your work, hobbies & interests, church.

Agree you should enquire in a relocation Forum - TA seems to be pretty strict about keeping to travel / holiday only. Can't see their reasoning personally, but it's their Forum, their rules.

Good Luck. Pack a dry sense of humour & a bag of common sense. They pay good dividends in Australia.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canberra Tips

1. Depends on your idea of "bargain". If you're from Sri Lanka, I suspect you may find most Australian clothing quite expensive, irrespective of the fact that it's almost certainly been made in SE Asia.

Try Target, KMart. Major department stores a are Myers & David Jones. Zillions of smaller chain retailers.

2. Sales seem to be on all the time these days. Big sales usually at the end of season & Boxing Day (26 Dec) starts.

If you're asking when Summer & Winter are - Summer: December - February. Winter: June - August, inclusive.

3. Meeting new people: Through your work, hobbies & interests, church.

Agree you should enquire in a relocation Forum - TA seems to be pretty strict about keeping to travel / holiday only. Can't see their reasoning personally, but it's their Forum, their rules.

Good Luck. Pack a dry sense of humour & a bag of common sense. They pay good dividends in Australia.

Edited: 6:03 pm, July 18, 2013
Mentioned in this post