We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants suitable for a group lunch

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Restaurants suitable for a group lunch

Hello all,

We're planning a family reunion meet-up at Canberra and I need to find a restaurant that is open for lunch on the weekend, and has a private room suitable for about 25 people (we can be quite noisy together so prefer private room). It's a special occasion but also will include about 8 kids, so the menu needs to be reasonably kid-friendly, but we're also looking for a medium to higher price bracket menu. Does anyone have any suggestions to start me off?

I live in Perth so am not familiar with Canberra.

With thanks

Oz
Level Contributor
12,161 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants suitable for a group lunch

Hi,

We attended a retirement dinner for a colleague at Rydges last year that was in a private room that would have held about fifty. Set menu with a choice of beef, lamb, poultry or vego. The food was ok but not great.

bestvenues.com.au/private-dining-room-venues…

This link may help but I sure the Canberra DEs will have more up to date and better info.

Cheers,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants suitable for a group lunch

About 2 yrs ago I attended a function for about 30 people at the Lemongrass Thai restaurant in Civic. It was excellent (provided that you like Thai food!)... I'm told by Canberra locals that this eatery is highly regarded and the prices seem reasonable. Maybe have a look...

http://www.lemongrassthai.com.au/

Enjoy!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants suitable for a group lunch

Ottoman is great and has private rooms. Trying to check if they have a room big enough for your group I came across this list which might be useful. bestrestaurants.com.au/canberra/private-dini…

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants suitable for a group lunch

Sorry, I just noticed, Ottoman isn't open for lunch on weekends.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
428 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants suitable for a group lunch

MacKnee BEAT ME AGAIN!! I would have recommended Ottoman too - it has great food and great private rooms and a reasonable price. Shame

Boathouse by the Lake is at the upper end and it has a decent sized private room. They really like functions! www.boathousebythelake.com.au

This is rather complicated but at Old Parliament House, the old Ginger Room has a private dining room, which I believe is still available for functions and is catered by Cafe in the House. That was the story I was told back when the Ginger Room closed. moadoph.gov.au/visiting/the-kitchen-cabinet/

A new chinese restaurant in Kingston - Wild Duck - has a private dining room that can take 25. Food is excellent, a tad pricey. They do lunch during the week - so they may be prepared to open for lunch on a weekend if you ask them. http://wild-duck.com.au

The Hyatt Hotel has a semi-private dining area - a separate seating area across from their buffet cafe area - and you go to the buffet. …hyatt.com/en/…ThePromenadeCafe.html

I have no idea if they have a private room, but the latest and greatest Canberra dining spot is the Conservatory Restaurant at the National Arboretum. Open for lunch and unless they have a wedding, I'd be surprised if they can't accommodate you. …act.gov.au/cafe-and-restaurant

I'll probably think of some more ....

6. Re: Restaurants suitable for a group lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 18, 2014