We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Cook Memorial Jet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Captain Cook Memorial Jet

Can't seem to find any updated info as to the times the jet is usually turned on. I have overseas visitors with me, would be lovely if we get to see the fountain/jet when we are visiting.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Cook Memorial Jet

It used to be 2 till 4 pm - but that was a couple of years ago.

Maybe a local has more recent info?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Cook Memorial Jet

Yep, 2 till 4. www.nationalcapital.gov.au/index.php…

Oz
Level Contributor
12,402 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain Cook Memorial Jet

How very sensible,

Back in the seventies when I lived in Canberra I used to ride a bike to work, crossing Commonwealth Bridge en route. One freezing winters morning the jet had been left running overningt. A strong wind blew the spray onto the bridge which then froze into sheets of "Black Ice". Guess how long I stayed upright after hitting the ice.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain Cook Memorial Jet

Thanks for the replies.

MacKnee - I did check that page prior to posting on TA. It showed 'last updated on 24 Oct 2008'. Hence, the reason for asking TA contributors in case someone has been there recently.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain Cook Memorial Jet

Just received some brochures from the Visitors Centre. It is still 2-4pm. Brochure printed 2013.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain Cook Memorial Jet

Ooh OZRCFLYER, that's not good :-(

No worries leisure2go, I can understand if you notice the date you'd want to doublecheck. 2-4 fits in with the times I've noticed, not that I stand there with a stopwatch mind you. The exception is when they switch it off due to blue-green algae in the water but at the moment it's fine. I checked that site to see if there's anything about the recurring blue-green algae problem (it was quite fragrant last year!) and it seems the Media Centre is the place to keep an eye on for any news or changes.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
432 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain Cook Memorial Jet

macKnee beat me to it! the algae issue turns it off - and otherwise really bad weather. Canberrans all have experience driving through the spray on the bridge when windy. But if really bad they turn it off.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Captain Cook Memorial Jet

Crossing my fingers - no algae and strong winds on the day. While I'm at it, no rain as well :) .

9. Re: Captain Cook Memorial Jet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 10, 2014