We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New in Canberra

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
66 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
New in Canberra

I am doing a 3 month contract in Canberra. Never been there so have no idea. I will be working in the CBD and need to get a 1 bedroom furnished apartment. Are there any areas I should be looking at? I don't have a car? I like being near a pub or two.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
428 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New in Canberra

1) Braddon (maybe Turner / New Acton) is the obvious choice for walkability into the CBD plus access to the Canberra Centre North Quarter for bars, restaurants, shops, cinema etc. Braddon itself has transformed and also full of bars, restaurants, shops etc now. there are also plenty of apartments.

To get an idea of what real estate is available you can start with www.allhomes.com.au and that will show you some of the real estate agents that operate in the area.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New in Canberra

New Acton would be your best bet. You'll have Canberra's best beer within staggering distance at the Wig and Pen which has won more awards than there are days in the year. Braddon is ok however, there is a lot of public housing there. Of course not all public housing tenants are bad but it's something to think about.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,161 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New in Canberra

Hi,

In a previous life I lived in Canberra and loved the place, although the weather can be a bit extreme. If you are into cycling you don't need a car for most trips and certainly the commute to Civic is easy.

Cheers,

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New in Canberra

I agree that the New Acton area would be ideal for you. Have a look at anywhere down the lake end of Marcus Clarke St (and its side streets). There are also good apartments in Turner and Braddon in the areas straddling Northbourne Ave. Stay on the city side of Haig Park for easy walking.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
66 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New in Canberra

Thanks guys....can I walk from New Acton to 40 Bunda St where I will be working?

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New in Canberra

Braddon and Turner will be closer, but New Acton should be around 15 minutes walk to Bunda St.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
66 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New in Canberra

Is there anything to choose between Braddon, Turner and New Acton as far as walking to supermarkets, pubs, restaurants etc go? and are any of them better areas to live in?

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
66 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New in Canberra

Someone recommended Kingston. Is this an option? Are there pubs and restaurants there I can walk to?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
76 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New in Canberra

We are in Canberra with no car on 3 month contracts every year. We have lived in both New Acton and Braddon and they would both be very walkable to Bunda St. (I walked to that area every day from both places in winter). Braddon is going to be a bit closer to Canberra Centre and groceries. The Wig and Pen is great for beer, but quite crowded and full of suits, so it depends if that is your thing. In Braddon, people tend to go home first and change which I find makes a tremendous difference in atmosphere. Braddon stays lively later if that matters to you, whereas Civic (which is where Bunda and Wig and Pen are) cools down pretty early as people head home. A lot of people recommend Kingston, but I don't have any experience with the area- you would have to take a bus to work, but that is pretty easy (my partner takes the bus to work each day when we are there and has no problems). My experience is a bit different because we are there with kids, but you will find that Canberrans find it slightly crazy to be there without a car, but really we have found it to be mostly quite convenient for a total of 8 months over the last 3 years.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
66 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New in Canberra

Thanks Jld1975.......some comments have Braddon as not a nice area with council homes etc. Is that how you found it?

Also any information from anybody on Kingston will help.

Thanks