We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
12 posts
Save Topic
Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

Hello everyone, I am a small business and am joining in on the Centenary Celebrations coming up in March

I have a list of Canberra's Suburbs and regions but a few are questionable as to are they part of Canberra?

I'd love to hear from any locals who know the area so well and could help with some advice! Be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Greg

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

Here's my take:

There really aren't areas known as Northern and Southern Canberra. There is the Inner North and Inner South, plus the suburbs congregated around the main town centers. Here's how they sit:

BELCONNEN Aranda Bruce Charnwood Cook Dunlop Evatt Florey Flynn Fraser Giralang Hawker Higgins Holt Kaleen Latham Lawson Macgregor Macquarie Mckellar Melba Page Scullin Spence Weetangera

(Lawson has just an empty paddock on one side at the moment, with an old Naval radio station on the other. It is a future development).

CANBERRA CENTRAL Civic (known officially as Canberra), Acton

(Capital Hill and Parkes do not belong here).

GUNGAHLIN Amaroo Bonner Casey Crace Forde Franklin Gungahlin Hall Harrison Jacka Mitchell Ngunnawal Nicholls Palmerston

(Harcourt Hill is not a suburb, it's an area of Nicholls that was unofficially named by a developer)

( Kenny, Kinlyside, Moncrieff, Taylor and Throsby are all planned suburbs, currently just bush).

MOLONGLO VALLEY Coombs, Molonglo, Wright, Denman Prospect - only Wright exists at the moment.

(McCubbin Rise is once again just a developer name)

INNER NORTH CANBERRA Braddon Campbell Dickson Downer Hackett Lyneham Majura O'Connor Reid Russell Turner Watson Pialligo

(North Lyneham is technically part of Lyneham. Pialligo belongs here rather than in the south).

INNER SOUTH CANBERRA Barton Deakin Forrest Fyshwick Griffith Kingston Narrabundah Red Hill Symonston Yarralumla Parkes Capital Hill

(Oaks Estate and Beard - not sure where you put these. Beard is a small industrial estate that most people dont know about and certainly wouldn't think belonged to Canberra. Like Oaks Estate, it's a bit of an outlier, not technically Inner South).

TUGGERANONG Banks Bonython Calwell Chisholm Conder Fadden Gilmore Gordon Gowrie Greenway Hume Isabella Plains Kambah Macarthur Monash Oxley Richardson Tharwa Theodore Wanniassa

WESTON CREEK Chapman Duffy Fisher Holder Rivett Stirling Waramanga Weston Uriarra

WODEN VALLEY Chifley Curtin Garran Hughes Farrer Isaacs Lyons Mawson O'Malley Pearce Phillip Swinger Hill Torrens

Tharwa, Uriarra, Hall, Oaks Estate and Beard really sit out on their own, although you could group them as above. Jervis Bay technically belongs to the ACT as well.

There are other areas that you may come across, which like Harcourt Hill are known by locals but not actually suburbs. These include - Manuka (Griffith), Yerrabi Pond (Gungahlin), Jamison (Macquarie), Kippax (Holt), ANU (Acton), Woden (Phillip), Tuggeranong (Greenway), Airport and Majura Park (Majura)

Sydney
12 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

Hi everyone... thanks for the feedback that I had received... the reason I was asking is that I am setting up prints for BURBIA, and am showcasing CANBERRA for the centenary which are now on sale. I understand some places in Molonglo Valley are only listings, but I have added some in. And I have kept a North & South Canberra.

…bigcartel.com/product/canberra-100-districts

Anyways, feel free to take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

23. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 27, 2014