We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

Sydney
12 posts
Save Topic
Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

Hello everyone, I am a small business and am joining in on the Centenary Celebrations coming up in March

I have a list of Canberra's Suburbs and regions but a few are questionable as to are they part of Canberra?

I'd love to hear from any locals who know the area so well and could help with some advice! Be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Greg

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

Hi. I don't understand your question and I'm not sure how it's travel related? What exactly is it you want please?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,234 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

Incredibley enough - maps do in fact exist of Canberra and its suburbs.

Sydney
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

My question is more towards what defines Canberra's Suburbs. I have documented everything.

For instance there is South Canberra and North Canberra, but is there a defined Canberra Central area? This is my list below for areas I am requiring some local help defining, that is all and greatly appreciate any advice.

CANBERRA CENTRAL: Capital Hill, City/Caberra?, Civic, Parkes

NORTH CANBERRA: Acton Ainslie Anu Braddon Campbell Canberra Dickson Downer Hackett Lyneham Majura NewActon North Lyneham O'Connor Reid Russell Turner Watson

SOUTH CANBERRA: Barton Beard Deakin Forrest Fyshwick Griffith Kingston Narrabundah Oaks Estate Pialligo Red Hill Symonston Yarralumla

NOT PART OF CANBERRA?

• Coree, Urayarra, Stromlo

• Majura

• Paddy’s River

Gibraltar

• Royalla

Mentioned in this post
Stromlo
Stromlo
Canberra, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

http://tinyurl.com/arcrcmd

Sydney
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

If it helps further this is the full list I have.

I am a print maker and am designing posters for the upcoming Centenary Celebrations so am making sure I have local knowledge and all areas correctly defined. I have been in touch with act gov, and checked as many resources as I can so far. Thank you.

CANBERRA SUBURBS

BELCONNEN Aranda Bruce Charnwood Cook Dunlop Evatt Florey Flynn Fraser Giralang Hawker Higgins Holt Kaleen Latham Lawson Macgregor Macquarie Mckellar Melba Page Scullin Spence Weetangera

CANBERRA CENTRAL Capital Hill, City/Caberra?, Civic, Parkes

GUNGAHLIN Amaroo Bonner Casey Crace Forde Franklin Hall Harcourt Hill Harrison Jacka Kenny Kinlyside Mitchell Moncrieff Ngunnawal Nicholls Palmerston Taylor Throsby

MOLONGLO VALLEY Coombs Denman Prospect McCubbin Rise Molonglo Wright

NORTH CANBERRA Acton Ainslie Anu Braddon Campbell Canberra Dickson Downer Hackett Lyneham Majura NewActon North Lyneham O'Connor Reid Russell Turner Watson

SOUTH CANBERRA Barton Beard Deakin Forrest Fyshwick Griffith Kingston Narrabundah Oaks Estate Pialligo Red Hill Symonston Yarralumla

TUGGERANONG Banks Bonython Calwell Chisholm Conder Fadden Gilmore Gordon Gowrie Greenway Hume Isabella Plains Kambah Macarthur Monash Oxley Richardson Tharwa Theodore Wanniassa

WESTON CREEK Chapman Duffy Fisher Holder Rivett Stirling Waramanga Weston

WODEN VALLEY Chifley Curtin Garran Hughes Farrer Isaacs Lyons Mawson O'Malley Pearce Phillip Swinger Hill Torrens

NOT PART OF CANBERRA?

• Coree Urayarra Stromlo

• Majura

• Paddy’s River

Gibraltar

• Royalla

Mentioned in this post
Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
447 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

If you have a contract with some organisation for printing signs I suggest you get back in contact with them and clarify and confirm exactly what they are expecting.

Lists of suburbs, as you have compiled, are freely available online and you can compare to Google Maps.

As MacKnee asks - this is a travel forum and so do you perhaps have a travel question?

Oh - well - if the Centenary makes interstate people more aware of the ACT then perhaps that is a good thing!

Edited: 10:27 pm, February 23, 2013
Sydney
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

I was just asking for local knowledge for Canberra and it's regions and trip advisor seemed like a good place to come for that...... based on what I already have, I was just seeing if anyone had any further advice they thought may be useful.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
447 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

Well - I am not sure what you want to know. It just seems a bit strange cause a few minutes on Google Maps would have given you the areas you are after - e.g. royalla is in NSW.

so when you ask for local knowledge about the ACT - what is the local knowledge you seek?

Edited: 10:34 pm, February 23, 2013
Sydney
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

Yes I understand that... thanks

All I need clarification on now is do you call it Canberra Central ( but is often referred to as North Canberra and South Canberra)?

I am designing art prints, so local people from Canberra will be buying these to celebrate the Centenary. And I am listing all the regions on the prints, so it is important I name them the way locals view it.

So just wanted to check if you would define a smaller region such as this for

CANBERRA CENTRAL (Capital Hill, Caberra, Civic, Parkes) or simply have

NORTH AND SOUTH CANBERRA, and therefore these suburbs I just listed would be part of SOUTH CANBERRA.

Thanks

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canberra Regions and Suburbs: Expert Needed!

>>I have been in touch with act gov<<

They really should be assisting you, however having sometimes danced in wonderful with them myself...

(Apologies, I have also dealt with very helpful gov employees, some of whom even went out of their way to assist when I was wrongly directed to their office and it really had nothing to do with them, so while some deserve every rude comment public servants attract, some most certainly do not! Plus being a bit of a company town, I and many of my family worked for the gov too.)

Anyway, back to the question (interesting to see if any of my fellow Canberrans see it differently).

Edited: 10:55 pm, February 23, 2013