We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oh no, not another restuarant recommendation

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
oh no, not another restuarant recommendation

sorry, no time to research. Its all a bit of a whirlwind and, despite being born in Canberra, I havent been there for over 30 years. My husband has never been !

So we are coming down this weekend - kid free ! - and would like at least one decent meal. Staying at the Hyatt and found this list - can someone tell us what is stumbling distance....

(ps. think we can live without the lambs tongues and scotch eggs at Aubergine, probs wouldnt get in anyway..)

goodfood.com.au/good-food/eat-out/aggregate/…

really appreciate it

Edited: 3:20 am, December 12, 2012
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,250 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oh no, not another restuarant recommendation

Not on your list, but try the Ginger Room in the back of Old Parliament House. You could even walk. :))

www.gingercatering.com.au/area.asp?aID=25

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
323 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oh no, not another restuarant recommendation

Ginger Room is excellent, with great food and a historical atmosphere. It is located in the old Senate dining room, with views up the lawn to new Parliament House.

Another favourite is Waters edge:

www.watersedgecanberra.com.au/watersedge/

We also like Rubicon at Griffith Shops. Although it doesn't have the greatest location, the food is very good.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
434 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oh no, not another restuarant recommendation

yep I am going to go with Ginger Room and Waters Edge as my first choices too - I'd avoid the Hyatt. Frankly, I find their catering very "mass scale hotel" average. For a day time lunch try the National Portrait Gallery.

Edited: 9:17 pm, December 12, 2012
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oh no, not another restuarant recommendation

I've never been to Ginger Room so can't comment there. Been to Waters Edge once before their renovation, very nice, and like OPH a good location for the Hyatt.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oh no, not another restuarant recommendation

So we're home again - thought Id leave a mini TR

Could not get into any of the better restuarants either night ( I guess it is week before xmas and there really are only a handful it seems). Had business in Manuka so ended up having a decent lunch at the new Me & Mrs Jones, a drink at its sister Public and a very good lunch at My Cafe on the second day.

Very ordinary buffet at the Hyatt with everone in Canberra and their Xmas parties it seemed. Hyatt was lovely otherwise and would definately stay there again. Service was a bit hit and miss - called us by name, very responsive etc...but lost our luggage on check in ! Still, lovely old hotel and good location.

Spent a few very sobering hours at the wonderful war memorial, got lost at Canberra Central, more business our at Tuggeranon and found my childhood home in Ainslie. A long walk around the lake and through the many beautiful gardens and monuments.

Still a very pretty city and beautifully planned, albiet a little on the quite side for us, lol. An hour around the lake and we passed 2 people ! Heaven for some I would imagine.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oh no, not another restuarant recommendation

Thanks 40ish. Sorry you couldn't get in to any of the recommendations. I love what they've done with the old hostel in turning it into the Hyatt but it does seem like they aren't consistently 5 star, and with a bit of competition at the upper end these days they really ought to be doing better.

7. Re: oh no, not another restuarant recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 21, 2013