We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

NO choice in accom as this was booked through Uni. They used to have a bbq so GS was planning on taking meat etc which meant no driving after dinner and they could relax.

. However, the BBQ has been removed and the only onsite eating option is $31 for mains (not in their $$ range)

Any options (cheap) for a group of usually ravenous people aged about 20ish. I can only think of the Cook your own at Dickson pub.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

Sorry I can't suggest anything specific. Eaglehawk isn't that close to anything so I was thinking Dickson would be the best place to try.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

They're discussing Woolworths BBQ chicken and paper plates ;)

Yeah I know, we used to stay there when it first opened before Rydges and it was incredibly good. They had a great restaurant that had a meal package and not too expensive, plus the Cafe was open to sell Pizzas etc. The BBQ area made an awesome option with kids because they could play in the pool while you did the BBQ.

I'n never rec it to anyone but Uni did the booking so no choice

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

Doesn't seem very smart to offer a budget stay on the outskirts of town option for accommodation and then put people in the position of having to drive somewhere else in search of budget dining options :-( Maybe they think once you're a captive audience you'll pay the $31.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

Lecturer left the booking too late, usually stay at YHA but it's school hols and floriade

I think that is Rydges Game plan...

WOW...interesting there are lots of single reviews that are positive...

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

Really? How nice that those people were so impressed they signed up to submit a review :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

And how interesting the GM only responds to people who have more than one post?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
603 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

Not sure if the trip was this weekend or not - but if still after options then I think Dickson & Gungahlin are the best options. Lots of cafes & Chinese/Thai/Indian/Italian options. Also the Ainslie FC and the sister club at Gungahlin Lakes - food at both is quite good.

And there are good takeaway type options in some of the suburban shopping centres in North Canberra & Gungahlin.

I think the only options will involve a drive.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
432 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

The old White Ibis - Now Capital Country or like -which is right near the Eagle Hawk has BBQ facilities. How many in the group? I wonder if a couple of polite quiet chaps wandering through the park would be noticed for 1 or 2 nights? I assume they are pay BBQs.

If they are willing to drive there are District parks with BBQs in them - if they are willing to picnic. Still involve a drive though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

Thanks folks

There's about 20 in total, thye wont necessarily all eat together.

I'll mention the possibilty of sneaking next door.

They head down tomorrow until Thurs

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap food options near Rydges eagle hawk

I've stayed at the Carotel just down from EPIC a few times when going to horse shows (good float parking) and we poppe into Dickson for takeaways. Just be sure to pay for your parking - copped an $80 fine there picking up takeaways once (Expensive meal). Both Carotel & the Cedars next door have good BBQ & catering areas for groups. You could always zip over to Gungharlin Lakes Golf Club for dinner. Last resort could be the new Maccas at Brand Depot....... although Dickson's closer. I don't think the Eaglehawk servo even does meals anymore. Tried to stop there for breakky one morning a whle ago and bombed out.