We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

Hi folks,

Somewhat elderly parents are going to Canberra from overseas early January, and the flight gets into Sydney around 8.00pm which is just late enough to miss any connecting flights to Canberra or even the Murrays / Greyhound coaches.

Would you have any ideas on how they could get to Canberra that night without picking up a rental car? Or will they have to nab a hotel?

Thank you

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,919 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

It's actually easier to go by bus and probably not much slower since the bus terminal is right in the centre of Canberra, unlike the airport.

The bus to Canberra stops at the International Terminal before it hits the M5. It's also a lot cheaper than the flight.

You would be very unlucky not to get a seat on the bus - the worst thing that can happen is that you won't get on the first bus and you'll have to wait for the next one an hour later.

You can buy your ticket online

www.murrays.com.au/ExpressTimetable.aspx…

for the day you want to travel.

Edited: 9:35 am, June 29, 2012
Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
428 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

I am going to support evamelb. I would be very surprised if you did not get a seat on the bus on the day. These buses do not run empty but husband frequently books on the day or the night before online and has never had an issue in 5 years + with the Murray's coach.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,646 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

You may well find your incoming airline will charge a "heavy fee" for your bag when you check it in if it is over 23kg. And since you will be lugging that bag around between modes of transport you may also find it gets old very quickly. May I respectfully suggest fewer clothes and a quick trip to a laundry?

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
310 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

I second (or third) the vote for the bus, especially when you have a large bag.

Murrays bus company alone has 15 buses a day from Sydney to Canberra. It is very unlikely you won't find a free seat on the first bus, but that would only mean waiting an hour till the next one.

The bus terminal in Canberra is at the Jolimont Centre on Northbourne Avenue in the city, underneath the Novotel.

Canberra
Level Contributor
193 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

Greyhound also picks up from the airport to Canberra. The service is not as frequent as Murrays but at least adds another choice for you.

I would be emailing Murrays and explaining your situation and asking them for advice. Click on the "Contact us" link on their website.

Tehran, Iran
3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

Thanks evamelb, DownunderSugarglider, YorkFoodie, Ddkent, and judb for your useful comments.

I arrived at Sydney airport today and I bought a bus ticket to Canberra as soon as I went out of the airport and arrived at Murrays bus station.

This might be useful for future visitors of this page; Murrays company does not have any desk in the airport. So, one can not buy a ticket in the airport. Hence, I was told that the only method of buying a ticket is to book it online via credit card! However, I did not have a credit card and I would like to pay the ticket fee on cash. So, I went out of the airport and find a staff of Murrays company standing at the bus station and selling the tickets for the next coming bus. She was accepting payment both in cash or via credit card. I arrived at bus station on 9:00AM and I easily bought a ticket for 9:15AM. So, you guys were right... there should be no worries about ticket on July when there is at least a bus each hour.

Thanks for all your help :-)

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

Just to note for future readers, the best option here would have been to purchase a fully flexibly bus ticket ($3 more) for the last bus of the day.

Then as soon as you arrive, you can change it to the next bus with spare seats.

18. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 21, 2013