We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Topic
Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

Hi all.

I am looking at the NGA site and noticed they had premium tickets for the Masterpeices from Paris exhibit that entitle you to breakfast at the gallery plus exhibition viewing a full hour earlier than the regualr opening time. This offer is available only on weekends.

Has anyone done this? And would you recommend it?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

Sorry, I haven't been yet. It sounds like it could be worthwhile depending on the numbers they allow in. The last time we went to an exhibition we picked what we hoped would be one of the quieter times and although the queue for tickets was quite short and moved very efficiently we also had another short wait to actually be allowed into the exhibition and the galleries were quite full.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
426 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

My personal opinion is that you may be happy to pay to enter the gallery at 9am and beat the crowds for $40 (only $15 above the normal entry) but I wonder at paying another $40 for their breakfast. The NGA advertises pastries plus a hot dish - it would have to be fantastic to be worth paying an additional $40.

If you can wait until school holidays are over the crowds will lift somewhat.

The underground carpark does not usually open until 9:50am. If you buy the premium tickets you may want to check if they will open the carpark early or go park in the public servants open air car park next to the John Gorton Bld.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

Thanks everyone.

We went today and it was great - not crowded at all! I honestly thought it would be given it's a public holiday.

The exhibit was good and I enjoyed it but I would not say it's the best I've ever seen. At times it seemed like the curators were forcing a connection between some of the art to justify it's inclusion.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

Glad you enjoyed it. Wish I'd known today would be a good day to go. I didn't wake up until lunchtime and all I did was watch the fireworks on tv. Where did you end up going for breakfast?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

yeah, we were going to go yesterday too, but plans went awry. Hopefully it won't be too crowded next weekend.

There's a an exhibition of Marquetry at the Bungendore Woodworks too, so good to knock both over in the one trip if people are heading down.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
518 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

Snodge - the (free) exhibition on Stanley Melbourne Bruce at the National Archives is quite interesting too & worth a 1/2 hour.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

That sounds very interesting, thanks ACTR. Now all I have to do is finally figure out how to get to the bleeping archives. I've missed a few exhibitions because I'd get there and not be able to find them.. I know.. probably just unbelievably incompetent on our part... Any tips for the completely stupid to help get us into the archives building??

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
426 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

Archives is really close to the NGA, up in Queen Victoria Terrace. In a straight line heading south. So if you are standing at the front of the NGA looking at the John Gorton Building, walk up Parkes Place behind JGB, past the JGB carpark, cross King George Terrace (pedestrian crossing) and there is a park with HUGE trees and the walled OPH Rose Garden on the RHS. There is a pathway that goes the 1 block through the park and leads directly to the front door of Archives. OPH would be one block to the west (on your right if walking from NGA) so 3 blocks walk. Also has an open air carpark adjoining it.

Edited: 9:01 pm, January 01, 2010
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
518 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

Yep, probably only 300 metres from NGA. As alternative take on what DUSG said, aim toward New Parliament House & its the big old white building behind & to the left of Old PH.

Edited: 9:21 pm, January 01, 2010
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bought premium tickets for Paris Masterpieces exhibit?

Thanks so much guys, I shall go armed with your directions :o)