We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment in Canberra

US
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Apartment in Canberra

Hello!

I will be visiting Canberra for a few months, and I am trying to figure out the best place to rent an apartment. I'm in my late 20s and I live in a big city, so I would like to be in the most "happening" place possible. :) I love to shop (I prefer malls over boutiques, though), and I want to be near good restaurants and cafes. I would also love to be near nightlife. My budget is pretty flexible. I just want a really nice place in the best location possible.

I've read on here that Kingston and Manuka are supposed to be fun, but I had a friend tell me that Kingston is kind of dead at night and that Civic is probably the liveliest place to live. Is that true? Where do people my age live mostly? Any suggestions on which part of Civic (maybe even general street names)? Where can you find people walking around at night?

Also, if anyone has suggestions on good apartment rental agencies, that would be great!

Thanks so much!

US
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Apartment in Canberra

Hmmm...well, I'm definitely used to stores that stay open until 8 or 9 pm and restaurants that stay open until 10 or 11 pm...but, I'll adjust! What time do Aussies eat dinner? Early? What do people do after 5 pm if all of the stores are closed? Are there other activities going on? My friend was there a couple of months ago, so I think his information is probably pretty accurate. I welcome as much input as possible, though!

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
430 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Apartment in Canberra

North Quarter restaurants at canberra centre stay open 9pm- 10pm depending on the night. they just advertise their closing time as "till late" probably meaning they judge based on the crowd. other restaurants in the vicinity would be the same.

The supermarket in the canberra centre stays open until late - 10 or 11pm (again depends on the night)

Late night shopping is Friday - everything stays open till 9pm

Last week I went to City West where the ANU Uni Lodge is and the restaurants and supermarket there were going after 10pm

So unless you really like to eat really late I think you'll be OK in the city

US
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Apartment in Canberra

Oh, okay, that should be just fine. Good to know!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
592 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Apartment in Canberra

"Till late" in Civic mid week can still mean reasonably early - last year came out of a show at Canberra Theatre on Thursday evening at 10.15 expecting to get a coffee somewhere near East Row but coffee shops/cafes were already closed. Nightclubs were open, but that wasn't what I was after.

Moruya, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Apartment in Canberra

I own an apartment in the Waldorf in Akuna St. Civic.

There are lots of other apartments for short and long term rent in that building. Its quite central to malls, restaurants, transport etc.

It might be worth considering.

US
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Apartment in Canberra

Thanks for the suggestion! Are the units furnished? I need a place that's fully equipped. I haven't really seen any furnished units at the Waldorf advertised on the various rental websites, but maybe I missed something...

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,865 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Apartment in Canberra

Serviced apartments come fully furnished.

http://www.waldorfcanberra.com.au/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g255057-d289161…

US
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Apartment in Canberra

Thanks! I'll check it out...

19. Re: Apartment in Canberra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 11, 2010