We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Canberra

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Canberra

I will hopefully be moving to Canberra with my husband and 2 boys aged 16 yrs & 3 yrs. I have found the information and links on this site very useful. Thanks to everybody! Like most people who are making this life changing move to the other side of the world, I hope that life will be sweet and really do feel that you get out as much as you want to put in!

I have no doubts that a move to Canberra will benefit my family and we all look forward to it with real enthusiasm.

I would like to find good child care for my 3 yr old who currently attends full time child care with a private child minder who has two lovely girls of her own (both at school) and who also takes care of a boy aged 2yrs and a little girl aged 1 yr. This type of care provides a real homely place for my son and he has almost become one of their family, so ideally I would like a similar arrangement in Canberra if possible. We did intend to send my 3 yr old to private nursery school from September of this year, but may find that we are in Canberra before this if the visa is fast-tracked, so another option would be some type of full time nursery placement. I will be working for the Australian Taxation Office, so would like some advice on areas best placed for this employment, but am more than willing to travel in to Canberra (up to 45 mins each way) if this gives us a better chance of good rental prospects for the 1st few months. We would truly love to build our own home when we are settled, but appreciate that this will be some months/years down the line.

My 16 yr old is not really sure about his future yet, he was looking to go on to further education in UK, but may also consider an apprenticeship of some sort. He loves biking, Xbox 360 gaming and generally doing teenager things, so again I need also to consider that we do not want to be too far away from areas that would be of interest to him (cinemas, sports complex, shopping centre.)

Not exactly sure how soon we will get over, but we are hoping for later this year (after my 16 yr old finishes school in June).

All advice greatly received and appreciated! Joolzp

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,764 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Canberra

Welcome to TA

Can't help you much with child care as I am way beyond the need for that.

On locations to live, I assume you will be working for the National Office of Taxation in the city (Civic). They also have the ACT office at Belconnen which is NW of Civic about 8 km out.

Commuting times are nothing like 45 minutes from anywhere in Canberra. There is an excellent road system. The only place this would be likely to be from would be from some of the semi rural areas aver the border in New South Wales.

I live in Queanbeyan in NSW and I used to work in Belconnen, at trip of 26km and it took about 30 minutes maximum.

There are regional centre around Canberra and all of these have cinemas etc. for more information have a look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c4369/Austral…

For houses have a look at

http://allhomes.com.au

And

http://www.realestate.com.au/

For maps of Canberra have a look at whereis.com.au

2. Re: Moving to Canberra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, August 21, 2009