We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Australia
Search

$5000 Australian dream vacation

Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
9 helpful votes
$5000 Australian dream vacation
Save

I am wanting to go to Australia. I would like to spend as much time as I can there and see as much as I can and do as much as I can with $5000. I have no obligations to make it back home in time so tell me what I MUST SEE AND DO!

1: how much time does a person really need to enjoy Australia?

2: is Australia a safe place to travel alone?

3:Will I need more than a passport?

4:are places like Airbnb or home away good ideas when traveling to Australia?

5: should I get a car? Or traveling between

places is better by air?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: $5000 Australian dream vacation
Save

1. How long is a piece of string? Months if you can but I doubt your budget will last that long if it is to Lso include flights. You could see a reasonable amount in 4-6 weeks

2. Where you MUST Go well that depends on the time of year you're planning on going and your interests.

3. It is a safe country, far safer than the US and many, many people including myself travel around without incident.

You'll need an ETA which you apply for online via the Australian Immigration website. It costs AUD20 per person.

4. No idea about Airbnb, never used them but others seem to. I've ally's used motels, serviced apartments, aparthotels or hotels

5. Fly between destinations and hire a car at some but not all. fOr example car is unnecessary in Dydney where public transport is excellent and parking is hard to find and expensive.

Edited: 2:04 pm, February 07, 2016
Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
110 posts
61 reviews
32 helpful votes
2. Re: $5000 Australian dream vacation
Save

Hi , Australia is a beautiful but very large place.

With our currency not go ATM you will get about 30%more for yiur dollar ,bonus

It is very safe to travel on your own. Air BnB rooms are widely available in city's and holiday towns a great way to live like a local.

Maybe do hostels also as you get to meet up with other travellers.

I would combine maybe a bus pass, flying we have great budget airlines, Jetstar, Tiger and Virgin all safe and all great service. Book ahead for great savings .

I would suggest plan out must sees and start from there,

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington, Washington DC
Level Contributor
16,938 posts
135 reviews
288 helpful votes
3. Re: $5000 Australian dream vacation
Save

1. You can get a great taste of Australia in 2 weeks doing the City, Rock, Reef combination (Sydney, Uluru, Cairns/Port Douglas). Of course, if your budget allows for more time, that's even better. Just don't try to cram too much into too short of a time. A good rule of thumb is 3 destinations for 2 weeks, 4 - 5 destinations for 3 weeks, etc. And remember that every change of destination is going to subtract at least 1/2 day of sightseeing from your itinerary.

2. Yes

3. As an American citizen, you will need to obtain the aforementioned Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) from the website of the Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Border Protection (www.border.gov.au) While the ETA itself is free, there is a AUD 20.00 processing fee.

4. Yes, those are options, but I would look at hostels in order to meet other like-minded travelers that you might want to sightsee and/or socialize with. Check www.HostelWorld.com for recommendations and reviews. You can also book through that website or directly with the hostel.

5. Most of the distances you are likely to travel will be too far to travel by car. So budget for a lot of air travel. Having a car is neither necessary nor recommended in large cities such as Sydney or Melbourne. Having a car in places such as Uluru and Cairns/Port Douglas is often recommended, but you can also visit these places without renting a car.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
8,723 posts
276 reviews
765 helpful votes
4. Re: $5000 Australian dream vacation
Save

We recently returns from AUS in Sept 2015.

It is much safer than Dallas, TX; we didn't have any concerns, even during the night in SYD & Cairns.

When you o to the AUS Govt site for the ETA, it usually takes just minutes to get your confirmation. Once confirmed it is electronically attached to your passport.

We used AirBnB in Cairns and really liked the place we chose.

We never rented a car in Cairns: went on a Daintree/Cape Tribulation tour/walked to boat terminal for GBR Snorkeling/ walked to Cairns Central train station for Scenic Railway to Cairns & then rode the SkyRail back, with a bus transfer back to our accommodations in Cairns.

WE used Jet Star for travel between SYD and Cairns.

Edited: 6:18 pm, February 07, 2016
5. Re: $5000 Australian dream vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 08, 2017