We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

Warsaw, Poland
8 posts
We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

Hi there all campervan experts!

My and my family are relocating a campervan and despite taking good care of it, we scratched the overhead in two spots. The scratches are both 7cm long, are quite visible and require to be repaired. This happens and, as this is our fault, we accept the responsibility and are obviously ready to pay for the repair.

However, I have read here on TA some worrying stories of the company coming up with surprisingly high repair costs, full bond being blocked even if the repair is minor etc.

So I am reaching out to those who had an experience similar to ours - what does normally happen if you scratch a hired cart? Will the company just keep the full bond? Or will they refund the bond minus repair costs? Do they tend to over-value the repair cost? Do I have a space to challenge/negotiate down their quote? Or maybe it would be a better idea to repair the overhead on our own before dropping the vehicle off?

Please share your experiences.

Cheers,

Laur

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
20,911 posts
31 reviews
43 helpful votes
1. Re: We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

I would start with reading your terms and conditions - and then ringing the company.

Us all sitting here guessing wont get you far.

Warsaw, Poland
8 posts
2. Re: We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

PerfectlyPerth, guessing indeed won't help. Sharing experiences - will, at least us :)

I've gone through T&C several times, but they did not mention there if they normally try to artificially pump up the repair costs...

Cheers

Laur

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,156 posts
83 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

A few times we have had similar situations, made sure we took photographs, reported the damage when we returned the vehicle and never heard another word about it.

Perhaps you are worrying too much. Don't assume the worst and waste time worrying. Presumably you have taken out insurance to cover any damage??

Warsaw, Poland
8 posts
4. Re: We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

Hi Emel, thanks for a nice perspective!

The insurance does not cover the overhead... :)

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
39,862 posts
67 reviews
311 helpful votes
5. Re: We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

Then you will pay for it.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
21,459 posts
142 reviews
61 helpful votes
6. Re: We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

Thought about popping into a repair shop? It's possible someone could give it a quick fix for little cost.

Edited: 9 years ago
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,156 posts
83 reviews
85 helpful votes
7. Re: We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

>>pooping into a repair shop? >>

Are you sure able?? :-))

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
21,459 posts
142 reviews
61 helpful votes
8. Re: We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

I wasn't quook enough for you

Oz
Level Contributor
18,996 posts
41 reviews
22 helpful votes
9. Re: We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

Hi,

Was it Apollo? If so I would send your first born to the grandparents for a couple of years and change your name by Deed Poll..

Cheers,

Boston...
6 posts
10. Re: We scratched a campervan. What will happen next?

Laura, have you called the company? We are interested how this turns out ,as we are renting a campervan too in our next holiday.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.