We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

I've already applied for a got my Electronic visa thingy required for UK nationals for multiple entry to Australia. It is years since I've visited and then you had to have an actual visa in your passport. My current passport has 7 years left on it but I'm down to the only 4 blank pages left. May have to fit in a business trip to India before then, so that will kill off another 2 pages. So my question is does immigration expect you to have a completely blank page for each entry into the country? I don't want to risk having an issue just because I don't have enough pages left to meet their requirements. I'm also entering Australia via Hong Kong, so I'm sure they will stamp my passport on entry and exit and am also going from Australia to Fiji before entering Australi prior to returning home.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,546 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

They don't actually stamp passports anymore ... here anyway.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

I thought it was only Australian passports they didn't stamp?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,156 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

We have had quite a few reports on the forum that passports are stamped only if you ask - for any nationality.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

Some countries still stamp but you certainly don't need a page per stamp. I would have thought 4 pages was plenty.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,546 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

I have done a quick search and it seems some entry ports do and some don't and it can also depend on where you are from ... whoever said bureaucracy was straight forward?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

Thanks all for your responses. Looks like my current passport will be fine. I'll pay the extra for a bigger one next time around.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

If you go through the SmartGate with your UK chip passport (if eligible), you won't even get your passport touched by an immigration officer at all.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5555.asp

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,156 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

Thanks for that link, Jeremy. I'll update the SmartGate paras on the Visas and Customs Top Question. UK and Singaporean ePassport visitors should be happy. And I note that US ePassport holders have transitioned through the trial period nicely.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

Thanks for the info Luigi, my passport is almost brand new but I'm happy to save the stamp space since I travel a crazy lot and live in a country that stamps me both in and out. A bit sad to not have the passport stamps to mark my Aussie visit though.

OP, Hong Kong doesn't give stamps anymore. You get a little printed slip stating the permitted duration of your stay. And, I thought Indian visas are 1 page each? Or you mean 1 page for the visa sticker, and 1 page for the stamp in and out?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question re Immigration and Passport Stamps

ellyse, if you really want that little souvenir, just ask at the immigration desk. They have stamps as some people need a paper record of their comings and goings for a variety of reasons.