We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus tours of Oz

Bristol, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bus tours of Oz

Hello,

I am a 22 year old female, who will be touring Australia completely solo. I was thinking of travelling with a tour company to get between Cairns and Sydney (and then onwards to Melbourne, Adelaide, etc.), but I was unsure whether it is better to travel with Greyhound or Oz Experience coaches. Oz experience appears to travel to less places, though it is a lot more sociable. Greyhound gives me more variety and I like the idea of a kilometre pass. I am wondering if anyone has gone with either of these coach companies and what it was like. I want to meet people, as I will be alone, but do not want to sacrifice any experiences Australia has to offer.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,263 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus tours of Oz

Hi Kayleigh,

Bus journeys around Australia is a question that gets raised every now and then from visitors abroad.

Whilst I have never used Oz Experience (it wouldn't be the sort of holidays locals do), I have travelled many years ago by bus both north and south - and I'd say you wouldn't get too many locals suggesting or endorsing it as a way of travelling.

The vast distances and duration is almost always underestimated by visitors, and the romaticising of the road travel is soon forgotten with uncomfortable conditions, and poor food stops.

Whilst we understand your wish to meet other travellers, there is no guarantee that on any given bus or tour, that you'll be with a 'friendly' bunch.

I'd say with the availability of cheaper airfare nowadays, better to fly and enjoy your selected destinations. There are plenty of places throughout your travels where you can meet others.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus tours of Oz

I am with KVE on this one.

bus travel in Australia can be tedious and uncomfortable because of the long distances.

just as an example from where I live to central Sydney (a relative short distance) is 5 1/2 hours with numerous stops by bus; 3 1/2 hours by car.

and the bus services usually stick to the major hwys. there is always a problem of getting to the more see worthy places once u r dropped off..

the passenger demographic on the busses can be a bit, what's the word, ....'different'.

for that reason alone I would select the oz experience to find more like minded travel companions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus tours of Oz

I'd give Greyhound a miss, too. Stay in YHAs, do the OZ experience, just do things that interest you. You'll easily strike up conversations with locals & other visitors.

Have fun - we're a friendly bunch!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,230 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus tours of Oz

another vote for flying between destinations - you'll meet travellers in your demographic if you stay at hostels

Bristol, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus tours of Oz

I understand that flying between destinations is a lot easier, but it doesn't provide as much flexibility. I am travelling to Aus with a WH visa and so am hopefully staying out there for a full two years, which means that incorporating work opportunities with places I want to visit means playing it by ear. I had figured that since I will be only thinking of moving on from a city a few weeks before I do it, air fare would be hugely expensive. Would you still recommend flying?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,999 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus tours of Oz

Generally flying will be cheaper than buses.

If you sign up for email alerts to Tiger, Jetstar, Qantas and Virgin you will get their daily deals.

You can also check and compare them all against each other on webjet.com.au

Buses these days tend not to be the "backpackers" choice. While I was a regular interstate bus traveller through the 80s and 90s - the clientel these days are not who I would want to be sharing with and I would not be game to close my eyes to sleep for fear of losing possessions.

7. Re: Bus tours of Oz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 12, 2014