We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking flights within Australia

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Booking flights within Australia

Hello. I'm looking to plan a trip to Australia in November. I hope to use miles between the US and Australia. I see that Quantas has discounted flights if you also use them for flight from US. Does anyone know of any deals on flights wthin Australia if you aren't also tacking on the international part? Or is it just best to book one offs to the different cities? Thanks so much!!

Oz
Level Contributor
11,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking flights within Australia

Hi,

I would check what sort of a deal you can obtain as a package of flights from your end. I would then use Flight Centre or similar to compare internal flights and then go to the airline direct. That way you will have explored all your options.

You also need to be aware that if you use a no frills carrier you have an excellent chance of missing connecting flights. Tiger and Jetstar seem to be the worst in this respect but if you have plenty of time and don't mind cancelled flights they often are significantly cheaper. You generally get what you pay for?

http://www.dontflyjetstar.com/

Cheers,

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking flights within Australia

Something to remember, if as an American you arrive with two pieces of luggage you will be up for extra baggage fees on domestic flights. All Australian airlines only allow one checked in bag (excluding carry-on) and some of the cheap ones do not allow for any check-in luggage for the ticket price. Always check the terms & conditions.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,527 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking flights within Australia

Qantas (no u) is a OneWorld airline so if you have FF miles with one of those airline (like AA) then you can use those to get free(ish) flights.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking flights within Australia

You can also use QANTAS frequent flyer points to book Jetstar flights, so might be worth checking if you can do that with AA miles.

I fly Jetstar all the time (not much choice from Darwin) and I think they are fine. Yes I've had the odd flight changed, but I doubt it is any more frequent than any other budget airline.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking flights within Australia

I used American Airlines points for 3 domestic flights on Qantas for me and my huband. 60K points for a total of 6 flights. Saved over $2K total.

We don't intend to check more than 1 bag each. But I did check Qantas website to ensure I was familiar w/ their luggage restrictons (both check-in and carry-on). They do allow additional checked luggage for additional fees. However, they are quite strict on the size of the luggage (and weight).

I called and they confirmed that they "may" not accept a checked suitcase that is larger than the dimensions listed on their website. They told me that it was up to the gate agent. We won't leave it to chance and will definitely ensure that our luggage is equal to or less than their max dimenstions. They do have an extra charge for over-weight luggage, but not over-size. So I'd rather have a smaller, heavy bag than a light-weight large one :-) I can always pay extra if it's overweight. But don't want to have to leave it behind if it's too big!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking flights within Australia

" I can always pay extra if it's overweight. "

That is not always the case. We learned that flying home from France with lots of wine in our large suitcase. We were told that workers there will not handle overweight bags.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking flights within Australia

Qantas has very specific fees for overweight bags on their website. I think it said that they sill accept luggage up to 70 lbs for an extra fee. They won't accept anything above that.

8. Re: Booking flights within Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, February 09, 2013
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking flights within Australia

Qantas has very specific fees for overweight bags on their website. I think it said that they sill accept luggage up to 70 lbs for an extra fee. They won't accept anything above that.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking flights within Australia

might be worth registering to jetstar ,tiger,virgin to get emails of specials.jetstar has friday fare frenzy between 4pm and 8 pm local east coast time.the specials change all the time.the harder you look the luckier you will get.they do charge a booking fee per passenger per flight and do have StRICT luggage allowances.read the fine print and hopefully you will get a bargain.i dont recommend connecting flights becauseif your flight is held up ,late or cancelled the airlines will just say bad luckgood luck.