We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China southern

10 posts
Save Topic
China southern

Please do yourself a favour. If you are going on holiday, and are flying. don't go with china southern. They are quite literally the worst company for customer service I have ever had to deal with. As soon as they have your money the reasonable customer service is over. They are totally inept at getting your luggage to your desired destination. When lost, there is no number you can quickly contact. You have to ring around the world in order to find someone to help. That takes roughly 14 days in our experience. By then your luggage is gone, in there words, "Forever". On our return journey they lost 2 more bags. That's right 3 out of 5 checked in cases lost. We asked the staff in china to take us to the lost cases department. It was a MASSIVE room with thousands, upon thousands of cases stacked ceiling high. We have just found out that they auction them off after 2/3 months, if they're not claimed. Which as I said is impossible to do so. Nice little earner I think. If you want to enjoy your holiday. Walk there, over booking with china southern. Even if you are going to Europe.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China southern

so u think china southern deliberately 'loses' bags so that can make some sort of financial gain on the side?

interesting theory.

why not post this on the airlines forum

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_T…

am sure all the regular contributors would be fascinated by this.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,993 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China southern

lien is being deliberately provocative. Under no circumstances should you post this on the Air Travel forum here: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_T…

Caveat poster.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,993 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: China southern

Oh dear. I am a duffer. I see you have posted on Air Travel about this. Several times. Silly me.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,813 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China southern

Oh goody I was looking for a nights fun reading !

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: China southern

As you would have been told on the Airline forum, airlines don't handle luggage, airport workers do. Bags don't go missing on planes. Too small. They get lost at airports because airport workers put them in the wrong place. Nothing to do with China Suthern.

If you think the room you saw was big, have a look here

unclaimedbaggage.com/p/store/about_store

This is where the worlds lost and unclaimed luggage ends up. And it all gets sold off.

Sorry about your bad luck losing your gear but I'm sure you wouldn't have been silly enough to pack anything really valuable in your checked luggage and you had adequate insurance.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,813 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: China southern

According to the posts on the air travel forum they were indeed silly enough to pack family heirlooms in the luggage. When will people learn ????

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,993 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: China southern

As a point on semantics, I think these warehouses are full of the <found> luggage. If it hasn't been found, it couldn't be in the warehouse - if you get my drift. The <lost> luggage is still somewhere else. :)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: China southern

there is now a program on cable that follows a group of people who attend auctions at these unclaimed luggage places and bid quite high amounts for the unopened bags.

what they find inside is many times just amazing.

some people pack the most expensive things.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: China southern

Hey, luigi, I guess you're right - once it's in the warehouse it officially becomes 'unclaimed' baggage.

I once saw a TV doco on this place - you would not believe what people carry around with them.

This place is definitely on my bucket list if I ever find myself in Albuquerque

Some people even put grandma's heirloom jewellery in their checked baggage. Incredible ;-))

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,993 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: China southern

According to this story, someone found $1million in an unclaimed bag here: ranker.com/list/…michael-gibson