We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for May-June trip

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What to pack for May-June trip

Hello!

Please can you advise us on what to pack (shoes & clothing) for May-June trip to Australia. We are thinking of visiting Sydeny, Ayers Rock/Uluru/Alice Springs and Cairns.

Thank you.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,096 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for May-June trip

The following websites should be helpful in determining the kind of clothing you want to bring for the places you are visiting:

Sydney--http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp

Uluru -http://uluru.com/uluruclimate.html

Cairns- www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp…

I think the most important thing to bring at that time of year is a light, waterproof jacket. (You'll need layers to wear under it at Uluru.)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for May-June trip

Thank you so much, longhorn74 for your reply.

We were thinking of bringing windbreaker. I do not know if I should pack hiking boots AND Keens (semi covered, toe protected hiking sandals) or just the Keens for our trip?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack for May-June trip

Unless you are serious hikers and plan on doing lots if bush bashing (off trail hiking) then save the weight and leave the hiking boots at home.

Comfy walking shoes and runners with a decent tread in them should be just fine.

Personally I don't wear sandals in the bush. Too many creatures with multiple legs like to bite me and even the ubiquitous bull ant here can give you a nasty surprise.

If your walking will be confined to cities, towns and resorts then your sandals will be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
1,572 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack for May-June trip

I also agree with Eva, leave your walking boots at home unless you plan to do long bush walks. Uluru - don't wear anything good as the red sand ruins them.

Sydney will be the only destination which will be cool so a jacket / trench coat will be needed. Your other destinations will be lovely however the evenings in Uluru will need a light jacket.

Layers is always the answer when traveling through different climates.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack for May-June trip

I agree with Eva too. Joggers will do just fine. Weather in Aus is reasonably mild through winter but nights can still get cool. Layers are best. And yes a good warm coat and a light jacket will suffice - a scarf would be good too - fashionable as well :-). And even at Uluru the nights can be quite cool as you are in the middle of the continent. Basically think US autumn and you get Aus winter.

Enjoy your trip

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack for May-June trip

Thank you so much for your ideas and help. I really appreciate it.

7. Re: What to pack for May-June trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, June 22, 2013