We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

l'm visiting Australia for a few weeks, & as Thailand drives similiar to Thailand l was wanting to rent a car, can l use my 5 year Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

if not, does anyone know where to get an international drivers license in Thailand?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

As long as your license is in English, you may use it. Otherwise, an International Permit is required.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

Most International drivers licences are issued through Auto clubs. Try

http://www.raat.or.th/home

Oscar

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

In Thailand, International Driving Permits are issued by the Department of Land Transport. Phone 0 2272-5322 or 0 2272-5416. Applicants must possess a Thai driver's licence for at least one year to be eligible to apply.

The following are required for application:

Valid passport

Work permit

Thai Non-Immigrant Visa

Residency declaration

2 photos size 2.5"

Luigi

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

As already stated by Perthite, if your Thai licence is in English and you're only here as a visitor, there's no need for an international permit. Here's a link to the position in Victoria (it's the same as in other States):

…vic.gov.au/Home/…OverseasDriversLicences.htm

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

@theoneonlydave, yep,as long as you get the one with English on it besides (of course) Thai language(the top-Thai,and bottom-English). This is the one that I got when I was working in Bangkok,as I was there for quite a while-and since I do not read Thai and only can understand spoken,I even had to bring my Thai friend along to help....

I still remembered going to the centre at around 7am, then eye co-ordination test, some written test, then on the road,and by 2pm..I got my Thai licence...the one with Thai language at top and English at the bottom.

My Thai friends also has this Thai driving licence and no problem to use it to drive in Europe(more so they drive on right),and also in Australia.

So..."Mai mii panhaa"

Sydney
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

As long as the licence is in English and most importantly, has a photo on it, we will (and most car rental companies) accept it.

You might be able to apply here in Oz too.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/1017cd004da9a9b09f47df54a1b45993/IDP+Application+Form+1+July+11.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=1017cd004da9a9b09f47df54a1b45993

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,717 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

I doubt the RACV would issue an IDP to a foreign licence holder, Redspot. It is a declaration in several languages that the holder of the IDP is also the holder of a valid driver's licence in their country of residence. If the issuer of the IDP can't read the foreign licence to attest it is in fact a licence and not, for instance, a bus pass or student ID, they can't issue the IDP. And if the foreign licence is in English for the RACV person to read, no need for an IDP.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,311 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

No wonder tourists get confusing info at car hire places when this is the calibre of information coming from a supposed representative of one !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
1,090 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

An International Drivers License is fine if printed in English.

Sounds like it won't be an issue for you, but just for info of any other visitors, this generally only applies for 3 months. If you stay in Aus for more than that, you would have to get a local licence.

Canberra, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: can l use my Thailand drivers license to drive in Australia?

If I stay in Australia by partner visa. Am I able to use Thai international driver license