We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

What are the top 10 must see sights and things to do in Australia. Will be spending 3 weeks there in November/December for my brother's wedding (in Sydney) and really want to make the most of it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

As you have posted on the

Australia forum, here's my list ...

1.Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef

2.Cruise Sydney Harbour

3.Climb Ayers Rock

4.Explore Litchfield Nat Park

5.Ski Vic/NSW Snowfields (Jul, Aug)

6.Helicopter Bungle Bungles

7.Great Ocean Road Melb to Adelaide

8.Southern Capes wine region WA

9.Cradle Mountain walking in Tasmania

10. Swim with the giant whale sharks at Ningaloo Nat Marine Park

If you do just these above, you could rightly claim to have experienced the best of Australia. I could probably add a dozen more, however, this country is so huge it would be difficult to do many of them in 3 weeks. Climate restrictions may come into play for a couple of these attractions.

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,704 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

Hi Loop118,

Australia is so big and very beautiful.It is hard to decide which is the best..but here are mine.

1)Whitsunday Islands

2)Great Barrier Reef

3)Great Ocean Road

4)Sailing Sydney Harbour

5)Sailing Pittwater/Hawkesbury River

6)Driving around Tasmania

7)Shopping in Melbourne

8)Ayers Rock and outback

9)Kosciuszko National Park

10)Kakadu National Park

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,322 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

I reckon Rolly B is just about spot on!. I would choose exactly the same things.

Why is it that so many posters to this forum forget WA. The north of WA is without doubt in my opoinion the most spectacular part of this country - and that includes the Barrier Reef - (because Ningaloo is more accessible from the shore)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

How does one get to Ningaloo?

We're hoping to go to Bali from Australia. But if that falls through we'll have an extra week, and I thought about visiting the west coast. But the flights from Perth on Skywest and Skipper seem to be quite expensive, and to drive from Perth would take several days. (11 hours just to Monkey Mia, one way).

Maybe this is why the west coast isn't so heavily visited?

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

To get to Ningaloo, you can drive up from Perth (quite a long way) drive down from Broome or you can fly in. There's also tours of course. Have a look at

http://www.discoverwest.com.au/skywest.html

I won't add to the top ten. I reckon people have covered them pretty well.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,322 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

Remoteness is of course the main reason why the north west isn't visited as much but that shouldn't exclude it from a list the top ten best spots.

Antarctica is remote and hard to get to but that doesn't stop most people who have been there suggesting it as one of the most spectacular places on the planet!!

Its up to people to work out whether they think its worth the hassle of getting there and yes it is either along drive or an expensive flight. Not sure if the drive from Broome would be a bit shorter. You could look into flights to Broome from one of the capital cities and then drive to Coral Bay.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

You can do a lot of things in 3 weeks, but not visiting the mentioned 10 destinations.

Ningaloo reef is a hidden gem but very far (and I mean FAR) from it all. Mount Kosciusko (if you can pronounce it the right way you must be an insider!)and the snowy mountains in the SE part of Aus is better visited in winter but can't beat Austria.

What would I do (and did actually).

Stay at least 4 days in Sydney and visit Blue Mountains from S. An overnight stay in Katoomba is recommanded.

Go from Sydney to Alice Springs and visit Uluru and Kata Tjuta from Alice. Takes you at least 4 days to visit both Alice and Uluru.

(We had 105 F over there in dec.)

You're in the Wet, but don't miss the GBR, Daintree and the Tablelands.

Another 4 days gone.

Visit the Whitsundays for 2 days.

Go to Hervey Bay and visit Fraser Island.

Go to Brisbane, do your shopping over there and enjoy this city.

3 weeks gone!

And what about Tasmania,Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road, Adelaide with the wineries and the beautiful Fleurieu peninsula, Perth and Fremantle, Broome with its beaches, Canberra and its Australian Museum,Kimberley and the Bungle Bungle range and lots of places more?

You have to come back!!!

Tet (also a comeback kid!)

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
London
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

thanks for the advice. Have you ever been to Port Douglas? Would you recommend spending tme there or in the Whit Sundays?

Thanks

Loop

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 10 Things To Do in Australia

That's hard!

Port D is app 50 miles north of Cairns. It has a laid back atmosphere and if you're there on a sunday, visit the market!

PD is more expensive too with a lot of resorts.

Cairns itself has no (sandy) beach but some

places north of and close to Cairns like Trinity beach do have sandy beaches although they are not the nicest in the country.

Watertemp is at least 80 F. in december!

GBR is best reachable from PD but also easy from Cairns.

To visit the Tablelands and Kuranda you be better of in Cairns. Visiting Daintree is best from PD but also manageble from Cairns on a daytrip (strongly recommended).

If you can, spend both time in Cairns or PD and the Whitsundays. If you must choose, stay in Cairns and skip Whitsundays but it is very hard to make this choise!

Tet