We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

We are traveling from LAX to a wedding in Margaret River outside of Perth in Dec 2010. We will be spending 5-6 days in Margaret River and then want to make a stopover somewhere else for 4-5 days before heading back to the US. The easiest choices are Sydney or Brisbane, but we are open to suggestions. I had a friend recommend Queenstown in S. New Zealand (she has traveled a lot and says its her favorite place so far) but it adds quite a bit of travel time, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Thanks for any help!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

if u dont want to explore more of western australia ( and that would be a good idea seeing u r already there) i guess one of the other eastern state capitals would be the next choice. all are departure points to the usa.

depends on your interests which u have not indicated.

queenstown, nz, is an 'adventure' place with some pretty spectacular surrounding countryside. if u r into that sort thing then maybe its worth the extra travel. i dont think it is for such a short time. check on the nz forum for more details

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

My inclination is to say Sydney. It's a beautiful city (and region if you take into account possible day trips) and there's more than enough to fill 4-5 days with a huge range of choices so I'm sure you could come up with an itinerary you would enjoy (unless cities are completely not your thing in which case you presumably would not even be considering it).

I can understand your friend suggesting Queenstown. Although my knowledge of it is out of date, it was one of my favourite places when I visited NZ many years ago and I would love to go back. (Btw I visited in spring, not the ski season which Queenstown is perhaps most well-known for.) But it seems to me that it's a more specific sort of destination, and while some of us love the beauty of New Zealand I knew someone who felt their trip was a bit of a waste of time. And their favourite overseas destination isn't on my wish list. So each to their own :-) In very general terms I personally would say is Queenstown worth it, yes. But you really need to research the destination (so easy these days with the internet) and decide if adding another country to your trip would be worth the effort for YOU.

http://www.queenstown-nz.co.nz/

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g255104-i125-New_Z…

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

Thanks for the replies so far. I should add that we are looking for a place with nice scenary. We would not mind spending a day or two in the city, but would like to be able to go out and do things outdoors (biking, hiking, beach, etc) I am open to staying on the west coast, but since we have to fly to the east anyway to get back to US, thought that seemed like a logical stop over. The more I research Queenstown, it sounds fantastic, but I think it will be a bit too much traveling and expense to get over there. I'm thinking we will stay in Aus, just trying to decide where. Thanks!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

I vote for Sydney too - for the spectacular harbour. Brisbane is really just another city IMO..

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

I think the Great Barrier Reef is hard to beat - but not in December...perhaps you'd enjoy Tasmania and even do a couple of days walking if you are into that?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

I agree, you could satisfy all your requirements in and around Sydney and the Blue Mountains. No worries filling 4 or 5 days. Sydney is a spectacular city and our natural environment and national parks are lovely too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

Hi,

You do have to take into account the weather ....and in December you have to rule out my favourite places.

ie Ningaloo reef Nth WA - absolutely gorgeous but its no good in December.

Whitsunday Islands - also no good in Dec due to Stinger Season.

Uluru - too hot .

Sydney definitely even though its a big city but if you like beaches then Sydney has beautiful beaches and a stunning harbour and its usually lovely in December.

Queenstown NZ is lovely but it will take sometime to travel to from Australia with the time difference too.

If flying with Air NZ you would have to fly to Auckland from Perth and then onward to Queenstown which would take hours and if flying with Qantas you would have to fly back to Sydney and then onto Queenstown.

Perth to Sydney is a 4hr flight. Sydney to Queenstown is a 3hr flight duration.

EM.

Edited: 3:56 am, June 05, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

Queenstown really is spectacular, although personally I prefer it in winter when there is snow and log fires etc....

If you really want somewhere amazing and unique then check out Point Lookout on North Stradbroke Island ( about 1 hour from Brisbane) and perfect in December.

Otherwise go with the usual tourist route and Sydney would probably be your best bet...;-)

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

This would be my list to consider for a visit emphasising scenery and outdoor activities. I haven't done all these and some I haven't done for a long time, but maybe it will help give you some ideas for what to research further.

Blue Mountains (can be done as a day trip or add Jenolan Caves and I think that's probably an overnight stay)

the Botanic Gardens (in the city centre, a visit here would be easy to combine with the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and historic Rocks area)

one of the Harbour walks (the FAQ mentions the Manly to Spit walk but if you google Sydney Harbour walks it brings up a few websites with maps and details of numerous walks, various durations and difficulty levels)

Taronga Zoo (has to be one of the most beautiful locations for a zoo in the world, the ferry ride over is part of the experience, and then of course there's the animals)

Manly or Bondi (another excuse for a ferry ride plus the beach plus possibly a walk)

a drive southwards down the coast including the Sea Cliff Bridge and maybe returning through the Southern Highlands (see the FAQ for details of scenic drives; question for locals, would going as far as Jervis Bay require an overnight stay?)

... that's at least 4-5 days and I haven't even mentioned the museums, galleries, shopping... or a day trip to the national capital ;-)

Sydney
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: If you had to go one place in Australia, where would it be?

Yep... totally agree with comments and suggestions by Macknee

iru