We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

temporary cell phones in Australia (2)

Caldwell, NJ
Level Contributor
49 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
temporary cell phones in Australia (2)

Sorry, I posted in Melbourne forum by accident. I'll try again!

We've looked into the cell phone rentals through car hire agencies. Price high for the phone (US$6/day plus $30 shipping), and the per minute fee is outrageous (US$4). We will be traveling for one month. Is it possible to buy a cheap or disposable cell phone in Australia? If so, where do we purchase one (newstand, electronics store)? Are there other options that you know of? Thank you.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: temporary cell phones in Australia (2)

The cheapest new phones are around $A79. You can pick up a SIM card from $20-25. Phone companies to look at are Telstra, Vodafone, Virgin and Optus. There are so many phone shops, you should be able to find and pick up a good deal quite easily.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: temporary cell phones in Australia (2)

Here's one I just found on Telstra's website.

telstra.com.au/telstraprepaidplus/handsets/n…

That's $89 which includes your SIM card and $10 credt. There are Telstra shops all over the place.

Other posters have suggested VodaRent, or buying a used mobile phone from backpackers. Check back through the forums as I'm sure there's a few threads on this.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: temporary cell phones in Australia (2)

Did you try Voda Phone rentals? www.voderent.com.au

You collect phone right outside of customs at any of the major Aust airports and then return it to again, any of the major Aust airport kiosks on your way out. They have 3 phone choices and you pay outgoing calls only, so anyone can ring you and only they pay for the call. Your outgoing calls are very reasonable to the US at around $1.85 or so AUD per min. I have used them for quite a few years.

Caldwell, NJ
Level Contributor
49 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: temporary cell phones in Australia (2)

Wow, thanks for both suggestions. Can I pay you a commission???! Will post what we end up with.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: temporary cell phones in Australia (2)

Ooh commission. Sounds good. ;)

Just a little suggestion. If you don't sell your phone or keep it at the end of your trip, there are lots of charities that will take it off your hands and put it to good use.