We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter weather?

Massachusetts
2 posts
Save Topic
Winter weather?

My fiance and I were would like to go to Australia for our honeymoon, but it would be in June 2006. Will it be cold? If so, will it effect our trip, greatly?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter weather?

Personally I don't think the weather in Australia would affect your trip, except if you wanted a beach holiday.

The further north you go, the warmer it is. So Melbourne (southern Australia) for instance is quite cool in June - around 10-14 degrees celsius, but for sightseeing, this is still okay. Just need a warm coat - the wind can be quite chilly. Certainly no snow and very little rain (any rain is welcome in Melbourne!).

However, if you were to go to northern Australia, eg Cairns, Port Douglas, it is going to be a lot warmer - around 20 degrees plus. It is definitely t-shirt weather, but you might not be in the pool all the time.

It really depends what you are in to. There is not really any time you can't tour around in Australia. Perhaps advise what interests you for more detailed comment.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter weather?

Brisbane, Qld in June av temps are 11-21C or 52-70F which is pretty cold for us but it is usually dry and sunny. Southerners head north to Qld in June to get away from the cold as they get winter rain. It is very cold down south but you being from MA may not feel it as much. Best bet is to head for Qld and the GBR. And since when did honeymooners worry about the weather!

London/Brisbane
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter weather?

Northern Queensland (Cairns and townsville) are actually more enjoyable during the winter with temps around the high 20s and no cyclones (generally). If you want warm weather, this would be the place.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter weather?

Am I right in thinking Massachusetts is one of the cooler areas of the US?

As has been suggested I don't think you'll have any issues with the weather in Australia any time of year, it's a mighty big place and the weather will be to your taste for your preferred activities somewhere!

Totally off season, but we've gone for a jaunt to Melbourne every winter for the last 3 seasons. No problem, even down south, we get beautiful clear sunny days even in winter. So much so, that for some of us (me included) a good downpour and wild woolly weather is considered an exhilarating change. If you like bushwalking winter can be a great time to do it. You can walk all day and not get too hot.

We're a bit back to front here, sunny weather is just too common. Working travellers always seem to look at us in puzzlement as we come into the office beaming and happy because it's pouring rain, checking the radar on the website to check out where it's falling and praying it continues for at least a week!

Fayetteville North...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter weather?

hI, my fiance and I are also going to Austrailia for our honeymoon. Maybe we can meet up . We will be coming from North Carolina, USA.