We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

CSquaredC2
Level Contributor
401 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

Hey everyone... just needed some clarification on using my electronics and electric devices in Austraila. I'm from the U.S. and am confused... people have told me I need a simple power adapter in Australia to use my laptop, razor, camera charger, etc. But then, I got some feedback that that may not be good enough and I may need a power converter and if I don't use one, I'll be in trouble. Is that true? And if so, where can I get one relatively quickly?

Thanks,

Chris

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

Chris most of the chargers that come standard with equipment will do a range of voltages just have different plug ends. so you need the plug converter.

If the device does not have a 110/240V range adapter or similar then you'll need the converter...

most hotels in Aus seem to have a razor slot that suits all types of razors..but being female I've never really tested them ; )

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

I had a power adaptor when I went and my hair straightner and blow dryer did not work...they fit the plug but the voltage was wrong I guess.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

As Guruswife has said, the device must have a voltage range of 110/240V. If it does, then all you need to buy is an adaptor. Adaptors are easily bought at most stores here and sell for about $10.

CSquaredC2
Level Contributor
401 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

Thanks... I have no idea the range on my equipment (i.e. computer) . Where would I go to get a converter?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

somewhere on your computer, it should state the voltage range - maybe the instructions state it. If you can't find the voltage range maybe a computer shop can advise you, or ask the makers ie IBM or DELL?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

99% of laptops have the correct converter.

I bought my first laptop in the US 5 years ago and it had the correct adapter then. All I did was switch the power lead...

usually if it doesn't have a removable plug lead end (ie the bit that goes into the wall)

then it isn't usually dual voltage

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,078 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

There are two issues.

The first is that Australia uses 240 volt power rather than the 100 volts used in the USA. The power supplies in computers, cell phone chargers, digital camera battery chargers, will usually cope with both 240 and 110 volts. Hairdryers and shavers usually will not.

The second is that Australia (and NZ) use their own design of power outlet, and US plus will not fit. You need an adaptor to convert the Aust socket to the US plug. You can get them here if you can't find them in USA.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

Your laptop battery & camera re-chargers will have the voltage range noted, & as previous posters have said a range of 100-240V can be used in Australia. I could use my 'Australian' laptop & camera battery chargers in the US with just the plug adapter.

You can buy travel hair dryers etc which have a dual voltage switch. If you try to use electrical products designed only for 100V in Australia, they will blow up or short out as our voltage is too strong. If we use Australian 240V items in the US, they work but are a lot slower.

You can buy adapters which will convert the voltage, but they are a lot harder to find these days due to many item covering all voltage rages

9. Re: Power/Electricity Voltage in Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 13, 2009