We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quite a popular tourist destination - for some

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
98 reviews
Quite a popular tourist destination - for some

Some may remember a discussion last year about the joys of visiting sewerage treatment plants, otherwise known as STPs.

I understand that Kenny's World Toilet Tour will be visiting the Western Treatment Plant at Werribee just outside Melbourne - where he will meet a group of strange birdwatchers enjoying the sights. For those who may have considered including this delightful place on your next Melbourne holiday, this is a great opportunity to check it out. I have been informed that this episode will screen on September 10, though that may vary around the country.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
1. Re: Quite a popular tourist destination - for some

Snodge, what channel are we referring to? TBH I have not actually seen any adverts for the program. I'm guessing it can't be on Ch7 otherwise that's all I would have seen during the Olympic Games coverage...!?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,481 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Quite a popular tourist destination - for some

Thanks for the heads up about the Kenny episode :-))

A tour of our facility is often included in the annual Science Festival program. I must point out though, Canberra doesn't have a common STP, it's officially a Water Quality Control Centre!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,600 posts
204 reviews
3. Re: Quite a popular tourist destination - for some

LOL,

the highlight of GD's School's Year 7 school excursion week is the trip to the Sewage Works (I think at Malabar) they then need to plan a presentation about water...hmmm

The kid's cant wait to get into Year 8 so they can go to Camp (they do a Year 7 camp as well)

It's a standing joke...

anyway I guess that means that tours are available here as well...

(Anything Melbourne can do Sydney can too ;) )

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
98 reviews
4. Re: Quite a popular tourist destination - for some

Oh, sydney can't match Melbourne for Werribee I'm afraid. We're seriously outclassed in the STP department. Werribee even features on international agreements.. RAMSAR I think it is called. It deals with wetlands of international significance. There is a quite popular STP out in the north west of Sydney though.. last I heard there was quite a kerfuffle when the operators locked the gates. The birdwatching fraternity were quite outraged and were negotiating access...I didn't hear how it turned out... it is just amazing the birds they get in the north west of Sydney

.. Sean Dooley wrote a piece about STPs for ... I think it was Australian Geographic I was wondering what happened to it but it was published not so long ago. A most amusing read as usual... I must dig it out for referencing on my trip lists... you can probably get it on back order.

..oh and I understand Kenny's whatsit screens on Channel 10.

..Macknee must be a lot of pompous politicians and beaurocrats in Canberra.. too good for a STP eh LOL...

I still think the strangest thing I've come across is my neice who LOVES STPs and not for the birds. She likes them for the poo aspect.. very odd girl... I guess plenty of those year 7s will enjoy the visit. I guess it's something we all need to be aware of. Good move educating the young ones. We should be properly treating the waste not just munching it up and spewing it out into the ocean, no matter how far out.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Quite a popular tourist destination - for some

Will the birdwatchers be "flushing" out the birds so we can all see them.

Will the replies continue so this post doesn't go down the "tube". Will be able to keep this post a "floaters"....

HP

Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,481 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Quite a popular tourist destination - for some

Lol Howzat :-))

7. Re: Quite a popular tourist destination - for some

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 08, 2009