We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Away From Canberra

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
368 posts
72 reviews
Weekend Away From Canberra

Hi all,

will be visiting Canberra in August as husband is working there for a while, we wanted to go somewhere for the weekend, we have already done Melbourne, Sydney and Woolongong.

We can fly off on Friday night and come back Sunday evening, any suggestions? Anything longer than the weekend is not possible due to work commitments. ?I'd prefer to fly somewhere as we drove to Woolongong last time (ha ha).

We thought Gold Coast maybe? But open to suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

Level Contributor
77 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Weekend Away From Canberra

Check where you can get a direct flight to, otherwise you will spend most of the weekend travelling. Adelaide or Brisbane may work. If you can have a long weekend then Wellington, NZ may be an option too.

Otherwise if you were happy to drive, a weekend in the Victorian wine region near the Murray, based out of Rutherglen is lovely.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,622 posts
204 reviews
2. Re: Weekend Away From Canberra

Look at SE Vic wine regions.

Direct flight to Albury or drive

Bit of history Beechworth. wine and cheese at Milawa

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
368 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Weekend Away From Canberra

Thank you, i will have a look.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Weekend Away From Canberra

We just came back from an eight day break that included 4 nights on the coast between Batemans Bay and Ulladulla followed by another two nights at Wodonga where we spent a full day exploring Beechworth and Yackandanda before returning home via Milawa.

What Gurus has suggested could be easily done in a weekend from Canberra. On the coast we stayed in a cabin in a caravan park with its own beach and bordered on a national park with plenty of native wild life. It was a very handy break.

Bungendore...
Level Contributor
670 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Weekend Away From Canberra

Adelaide should work. Direct flights out Friday evening and back Sunday evening.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
368 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Weekend Away From Canberra

Thanks I was thinking Adelaide, we looked at batesman bay but unsure of the driving conditions, I really didn't like the driving from Canberra to austinmer especially in an unfamiliar car ha ha..

I'll check our Adelaide.

7. Re: Weekend Away From Canberra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 26, 2018