We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Barcelona to Spain

Which Barcelonne-du-Gers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Barcelona to Spain

Hi,

We're a young couple visiting Europe for the first time in Oct 2013. We originally planned on staying in Barcelona for 3 nights, Paris 4 nights, Amsterdam 2 nights and London 5 nights. We recently decided that we would love to take in more of the French landscapes, so have opted to drive from Barcelona to Toulouse instead and stay the night there, leave the next evening by train to Paris where we will stay for 3 nights. Here are a couple of questions I have and would really really appreciate any tips/advise on this

Is it advisable to drive from Barcelona to Toulouse? And if yes, whats the best/ most scenic and safest route?

How long is the journey from Barca to Toulouse in terms of time?

Is it advisable to make this trip, given we will be in Toulouse only for 1 night?

Would it make sense to do a day trip the following morning to visit Millau Viaduct? or is that too far off..and will we be able to make it back in time to catch the train to Paris

If we do take the toll roads, how much should we budget for Toll charges?

Would really appreciate any advice you might have on this! Thanks a ton!

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,724 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Barcelona to Spain

If you pick up a rental car in Spain and drop off in France, there will be a substantial one-way fee. Someone has to go to France and drive the car back to Spain. And one-day rentals are expensive anyway.

You can get driving directions, fairly realistic times, and estimated costs (fuel and tolls) from www.viamichelin.com

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,303 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Barcelona to Spain

The Millau Viaduct is a day trip from Toulouse. And sometimes on cloudy days the clouds are actually beneath the bridge. But having said that, it is a spectacular sight.

Nearer to Toulouse is the town of Carcassonne. It would make a lovely day trip and you'd have plenty of time to be back in time for your train.

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Barcelona to Spain

Hi,

Thanks for the tips! Apologies on the subject - I meant driving from barcelona to Toulouse.

Sidneynick, thanks for sharing www.viamichelin.com, its a brilliant site. Apparently it takes bout 6.5 hrs to Toulous, which would mean most of the day spent in driving. I did stumble upon some good deals on autoeurope for 1 way car hires.

Bean A, thanks for the tip, i am really really keen on experiencing the Millau Viaduct, but seems like we have too little time. My husband and i are not fixed on Toulouse, would you have any recommendations on places we can drive to and maybe spend a night at within 3.5 hrs of barcelona (towards France), so we can take in a mix of the little towns, the landscapes and the coast?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,303 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Barcelona to Spain

DiptiNV, because of the Pyrenees, it can take longer to drive places in this region than it looks.

If you drive along the coast from Barcelona to Narbonne you will see some lovely scenery. (There are some "tacky" places as well - I didn't like Argeles) but towns like Sete and Collioure and Banyuls are very pretty. This will take you the bones of a day but at a gentle pace.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,047 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Barcelona to Spain

BTW Barcelonne-du-Gers (this forum place) is not the Barcelona in Spain, but the advice above still holds good,

Reply to: Driving from Barcelona to Spain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Barcelonne-du-Gers