We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides for the ruins in Palanque

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Guides for the ruins in Palanque

Can anyone recommend a guide who has first hand experience?

Thanks

Avon, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guides for the ruins in Palanque

Can't give you a specific name of a specific guide, but I suggest getting there early. There are multiple guides clustered at entrance. Don't be afraid to chat with a prospective guide to make sure that there are no language issues.

My hotel had no specific recommendation, just directed me to travel service.

We were there New Year's Eve. Place deserted up to 0900/0930. Crowds appear suddenly and views of red queen's temple and skull at base of temple at far right difficult to see after that time

Place opens at 0800. Drive your car up to entrance or cab it there early. Early arrival at major sites key

Museum at base of hill outstanding. Has recreation of Pakal 's tomb worth seeing. Also nicely air conditioned and nice place to rest after touring

In my visits, guides about the same. One thing I noticed is that the guides will raise or lower level of talk to the educational level of the guest. If you have an interest in things Mayan, let the guide know. Ask questions . If you've seen other sites, speak up.

Good luck

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guides for the ruins in Palanque

Thank you for your advice....how long dd you stay and dd you go there more than once?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guides for the ruins in Palanque

Hi there, there are authorised guides, ask for the badge. Their official rate is 900 pesos for the ruins (5% of what was restored). If you want to see also those parts that are not excavated, you will have to pay more. You can negotiate a price, if you are alone or join a group. Best is if you speak Spanish. Then the price is lower.

The tour takes 2 hours for the ruins and 3 hours for the two tours. I advise you to go in the jungle to see the water cascades - they are lovely. You descend from the ruins to the museum that is at the bottom of the hill.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guides for the ruins in Palanque

Thanks for this information...

Edited: 10:59 pm, January 06, 2014
5. Re: Guides for the ruins in Palanque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 08, 2015