We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roads in Chiapas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Roads in Chiapas

The last post I could find about the road between San Cristobal de las Casas and Palenque was dated 2005 - so I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not this road has been improved at all? I'm tempted to backtrack through Villahermosa, and take the other road - or head to Peten through Bethel and back up through Guatemala in order to avoid this horrific piece of hwy, due to the many horror stories I've heard and read about!! I will be doing all of my travels during the day, and by bus (or boat). Thanks for your help!

Oh yeah - does this hwy get frosty/icy in winter? I'll be traveling in December...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roads in Chiapas

It's not a bad road. I remember it being paved and in good condition, but quite wiggly - but that's the bus driver's problem. It takes about 6 hours between SC & Palenque by bus, including the short stop at Ocosingo.

I've read warnings to not drive the road at night. Apparently there is the occasional roadblock, but these may be little more than a rope across the road so locals can get "contributions" from passing drivers. I'll bet the ADO drivers don't even slow down for that.

There's talk of building a toll road between the two towns, but I'm not sure they've even started building it yet.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roads in Chiapas

Thanks for your help!

3. Re: Roads in Chiapas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:47 am, June 16, 2011
4. Re: Roads in Chiapas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:47 am, June 16, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roads in Chiapas

I travelled the road last year and it was fine, wibbly wobbly as it winds down, but good. Lots of speed bumps though, which make it more painful as a passenger!

Palenque is incredible, enjoy!!

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roads in Chiapas

Thanks for your replies!

Does anyone know what it's like in December? Reason I ask, is I hear they get a lot of frost in winter, and have also read about the cliffs on either side of this hwy! It paints an awful picture in my head!!

I think I may travel down through Guatemala city to El Peten then to Palenque anyway, but if anyone has traveled this road in December, would appreciate knowing about the ice/frost potential!!

Thanks so much to those who have replied :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roads in Chiapas

Travelled in May so can't help I'm afraid. I can see how the cliffs could become dangerous, but couldnt really comment further. Sorry

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roads in Chiapas

Don't be sorry! All info is appreciated :)

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roads in Chiapas

Hi! We just drove both of those roads in November 2010. San Cristobal to Villahermosa is 3 and 1/2 hours at best (driving really fast and without wrong turns). Then, the road from Villahermosa to Palenque is really easy and quick, but, it's still 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours. We drove the internal road from San Cristobal to Palenque. It's a long day, but, was very safe and in good shape with 3 good size improvement projects going on. The construction projects were the only slow downs and they were 10 to 15 minutes each. There are some nice stops along the way including ruins and waterfalls. If I had it to do again.... I think that I would go ahead and take the long internal road as the countryside and villages were really pretty and I loved Tonina and the waterfalls. If you need any other info please write. It was a great trip and I would love the opportunity to share some of the things we discovered. There is not a large amount of info available in print unfortunately.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roads in Chiapas

We traveled those roads in early December and frost/ice was not even a consideration. People told us it was very rare and tended to resolve quickly. The roads are curvy and you cover a lot of elevation quickly, but, the temperature change as soon as you leave San Cristobal is rapid. You go from Piney woods to tropical rainforest pretty quickly!