We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route to take

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Palenque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Which route to take

Hello everyone,

I want to visit San Cristobal and the surrounding area and Palenque. I don't know which way to go....fly into Villahermosa and out of Tuxtla or reverse or in and out of one or the other. Would probably rent a car to get to Palenque either way.

Thanks for any ideas/advice.

Cathy in Vancouver

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which route to take

Up to you. I'd check to see whether it would be cheaper to fly into Villahermosa and out of Tuxtla or vice versa. If there is no cost difference, or just enough to not make a decision one way or another I'd just pick one. There really is no advantage one way or another. I flew into Tuxtla, and wish I had flown into Villahermosa, as I decided to spend less time in San Cristobal than I had planned to.

I might suggest though that you avoid the car and instead take bus transportation unless you're traveling with a big group of people. Bus travel is very cheap, very reliable, very safe and very comfortable. On the twisty and curvy roads to and from Palenque, it might be a better choice. Mexican drivers are also just a little bit scary sometimes and it very often seems as if there are no "rules" for driving, and unless you are used to the way they drive you might want to bus it to save yourself the anxiety attack/nervous breakdown. Buses go very frequently from both cities to Palenque, and very frequently from Tuxtla to San Cristobal. You can check www.ado.com.mx for bus times and prices. Colectivos abound and will get you anywhere you want to go in and around Palenque and San Cristobal. Tours can be arranged from Palenque to Agua Azul, Misol Ha, Yaxchilan, Bonam Pak etc. for very little.

From both airports, you're going to spend around 200 MXN to get to the town from the airport. It will cost much less to go from the town to the airport. San Cristobal is about 1 1/2 hours from Tuxtla, it costs about 40 pesos if you go by colectivo. Palenque is about 2 hours from Villahermosa. It is between 4 and 6 hours from Palenque to San Cristobal depending on road conditions, whether there are any accidents or not etc.

Good luck making your decision.

2. Re: Which route to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 25, 2010