We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Ag Nik to Herakleion

Leicester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bus from Ag Nik to Herakleion

We plan to visit Herakleion from Ag Nik. for a day trip. Do we have to go to the main bus station in Ag Nik , to catch a bus, or can we catch one in or near the Harbour? How long is this journey and what is the cost. Any other ideas for bus trips? We are on holiday at the end of September.

4 replies to this topic
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Ag Nik to Herakleion

Hi there

Yes you would need to go the main bus station which is around 10 min walk from the very centre of Agios, I don't know the cost or the length of journey as I don't catch the bus while in Agios, but I have posted a link to the bus timetable.

Other trips - well it depends on what you want to see really, but if you would like to visit a lovely beach for the day, then catch the bus to the village of Istro around 15 min drive from Agios, there are three beaches in Istro but the best is the beautiful Voulisma or Golden beach - see link below

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetable.php?lg=2

cretanbeaches.com/Beaches/…

If you want to visit some other villages in the area then you could use the happy train which leaves from the harbour area, its does various trip, but one is up to the village of Krista which is definitely worth while, and a bit of a different experience from the bus, but of course if you wanted to save some money then catch the bus to Krista instead.

I would also recommend a bus trip into both Elounda and then a little bit further afield to the pretty village off Plaka, from here you can then catch the small boat across to the island of Spinalonga.

http://spinalonga.com/

explorecrete.com/crete-east/EN-kritsa.html

End of September is a great time to visit Agios and we always visit at this time of year as well - so not long now :-) if you do want any other information then please just ask.

Leicester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Ag Nik to Herakleion

Thank you for the info. I had a look at the bus timetable and the cost is euros 7.10 one way trip. We may hire a car but being of a certain age we are unsure of driving into large towns with lots of confusing traffic and signs and Herakleion could be such a town. We enjoy villages or towns with harbours and old towns to browse so Elounda sounds good.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Ag Nik to Herakleion

HI there

If you aren't confident driving then I definitely wouldn't recommend driving in Heraklion - my husband is a confident driver - and we managed to get lost for a couple of hours....a complete nightmare!! much better to catch the bus and save yourself the stress.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Ag Nik to Herakleion

I agree, I'm a pretty confident driver and I have driven in Heraklion, but I wouldn't want to drive and be looking for somewhere to park. And certainly if you've never been there before you won't have much of a clue where anything is.

A possible alternative could be to park the car somewhere close and catch the bus in. Karteros, just before the airport could be such a place. Buses pass through there frequently, either the town bus or the buses to and from Malia.

But I think overall it's better and more cost-effective to use the bus on a day when you haven't got the car.

Reply to: Bus from Ag Nik to Herakleion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos